Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,353   Online: 1194

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Favourite HCB photograph

What is your favourite HCB photograph if any? For me they are too countless to remember, but this beautiful S shaped composition taken on a train in Romania is a beautiful example of not only composition and timing, but exposure control and lighting.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...%3Divns&itbs=1

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mine's "Moonrise over Hernandez".
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just kidding. :-)

Probably "Rue Mouffetard, Paris, 1954". At least my most enjoyable of his to look at. The look on the kid's face and the giggling girls in the background is priceless.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    In the Family of Man exhibition is a shot captioned "Indonesia." The shot I like is the one of rice paddy workers where he catches a woman in the foreground, several workers... one holding a baby and some of them children in the background. Sculpted terraces reflecting the tops of palm trees. Some huts and another rice paddy arranged in straight lines in the distance crossing the vertical lines of the same palm trees you see reflected in the foreground paddies.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    Mine's "Moonrise over Hernandez".
    Well played, sir.
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never seen an actual photograph made by H.C-B but I've seen museum and gallery examples of gelatin-silvers credited to him. The idea of sublime composition, exposure, and timing as outcomes of H.C-B's camera-work is basically a crock. H.C-B never really knew what he had until somebody pushed a pile of contact sheets under his nose. It is no hugely clever thing to discover a few nice results among thousands and thousands (and thousands) of discards.

The real secret to H.C-B's output is obsessive and brutal shooting backed up by dedicated darkroom workers. I think H.C-B's fame rests on an almost psychopathic capacity for self promotion, and ability to fool naive commentators like Beaumont Newhall et al, and to seduce an uncritical fan-club who fail to realise virtually everything he said about himself and his work should be taken with a grain of salt.

Of the pictures credited to H.C-B I should have liked to have done "Bargeman on the Seine River, 1957". And I wish (sadly unfulfilled) that I had the talent to do it by conscious creativity rather than by chance and in passing.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Oooooo that one is good too Maris.

I do agree that more volume increases the likelihood of good results in candid work. To do this in candid work takes a lot of time and patience and doing one's darndest to be where the action is.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    H.C-B never really knew what he had until somebody pushed a pile of contact sheets under his nose. It is no hugely clever thing to discover a few nice results among thousands and thousands (and thousands) of discards.

The real secret to H.C-B's output is obsessive and brutal shooting backed up by dedicated darkroom workers.
    Wait. You mean, it wasn't the Leica?

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Who is H.C.B... Is that the new guy from California?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin