Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,544   Posts: 1,544,426   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find it hugely therapeutic. Everyone has already commented on the therapeutic action of spending time out and alone, looking at things, taking notes. Shooting off a few rolls and the anticipation of developing them. The smell of the chemicals, the red light, the peace and deliberate quiet, the intent and focus. When you're doing that you're not doing anything else and all the crap just falls away. And then at the end of it all you have something tangible in your hands, an actual physical manifestation of your creative ideas; purgative, cleansing, exorcism. This is what is so unsatisfying about digital photography, at the end there is nothing physical made by your own hands.

I'm going to go ahead and call it a good escape.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I find it hugely therapeutic. Everyone has already commented on the therapeutic action of spending time out and alone, looking at things, taking notes. Shooting off a few rolls and the anticipation of developing them. The smell of the chemicals, the red light, the peace and deliberate quiet, the intent and focus. When you're doing that you're not doing anything else and all the crap just falls away. And then at the end of it all you have something tangible in your hands, an actual physical manifestation of your creative ideas; purgative, cleansing, exorcism. This is what is so unsatisfying about digital photography, at the end there is nothing physical made by your own hands.

I'm going to go ahead and call it a good escape.
    A big +1 on all of that (even if I print "digitally" due to lack of time and space)...
    http://street-photos.net/ | http://felinik.com/ | http://www.facebook.com/jf.felinik

"The one with the most stuff when he dies wins"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    100% yes.
    Totally agree with that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, if you consider printing in darkroom.
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I have a busy life and it seems that I have very little time to do photography anymore. I remember every time I come back from a trip shooting, I feel relaxed and have a sense of purpose. During times when I can't leave for a trip, I try to have some darkroom time. I made a couple of prints in the darkroom this holiday weekend and it was a totally therapeutic. I find it more therapeutic than shooting digitally. The reason for me is that the anticipating the potential of the latent images is the fun part. The other fun part is going into the darkroom to coax beauty from a negative on to a wet print. The final reward is holding a dry print in my hand. I'm lucky to have a girl friend that encourage me to play with my cameras and playing in the darkroom.
    Absolutely. All of my hobbies are therapeutic, why else would I persue them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    As it is pretty much all I have ever done I find getting away from photography therapeutic. I took a part time twice a week job this Summer working in a Farmer's market
    and standing there at a stall talking to hundreds of people in a day trying to sell them a product I previously had no association with has been quite a personal learning
    experience.

dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I call it my 'insanity asylum'... It is meditative to focus 100% on trying to make one single thing perfect.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

I do it professionally and find it therapeutic.

I love everything about it. The artistry, the collaboration with the subject, the use of mechanical/digital instruments, the beauty of lighting, the work in photoshop, and it's like Christmas morning when I first see the results and what is possible with the images.

It's more than therapy, it's a fully satisfying and enriched life.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The darkroom/printing work, yes. The camera work is the opposite.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin