Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,703   Posts: 1,482,684   Online: 829

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vpwphoto View Post
    I used to find it therapeutic, but in the past year while carrying a camera, I pause to make an image, then sometimes stop and say, who is it for, will they care, and has it been done?

I can make images of my children and wife, to preserve moments, feelings, or family history, but outside this and paying assignments, I am stagnated and conflicted as to why to create more work that is gazed upon with empty platitudes but no real connection to the hurried viewer or monetary reward through a print sale.
    There is nothing wrong with simply satisfying yourself.

For example, here in Colorado, the one picture a landscape photographer has to take (and will be judged by) is Maroon Bells. It's the most photographed spot in the state. There are weekend mornings where there is hardly room along the lakeshore for another tripod. Ansel Adams did a wonderful B&W version. Now why would anybody want to take another shot of it? It's been done to death. Anyone can go out and buy any number of truly spectacular prints, even print some off Flickr.

Well, it hasn't been done by me, yet. I've tried and failed. I don't care about all those other guys. I want to make my own. I don't want to sell it - who would want to buy it? I just want to take a beautiful photograph that does justice to one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Maybe at this point you need to tell yourself you are doing it for yourself. Just for the shear pleasure of doing it.
    A politician is a man who will double cross that bridge when he comes to it.

Oscar Levant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There is nothing wrong with simply satisfying yourself.
    Definitely. I find trying to please clients can be tiresome. At times, they want me to knock off somebody else's work. There's a Blues saying "You got to be who you is. If not, you is who you ain't." Be true to your self. If you happen to make money at it, twice as good!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Only when I shoot nudes.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sometimes
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In my everyday life, I am forced to remain highly analytic and mostly linear in thinking. I am also forced to be cautious, safe, and take "do no harm" approach. I am also needing to look at the "big picture" and proceed accordingly. Once I'm in my darkroom, all that goes out the window - or I try to think as differently as I can. Behind the camera, since I'm mostly out in public, this kind of thing is not always possible.

Is it relaxing? NO. Is it refreshing? Often, YES. Is it therapeutic? I'm not sure about that one. I do enjoy using "the other side" of my brain though.

Concerning supportive significant other, I fully agree. I am lucky in that regard myself. We just need to remember to enthusiastically return the favor and support her interests as well.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    vpwphoto: Mid-life crisis when you wonder about the meaning of life and if anything has value after all. Try a good read of Ecclesiastes.

Another thing that helps is to give away your photography. By that I mean, print out some of the work you like, frame it and gift it friends and families. The appreciation and thanks you will get will kick you up to a higher level. And when you visit their homes and see your work on their walls, you will have a sense of immortality. Just like when you think about your kids. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Generally, yes, but it's really dependent on if someone annoys me on the streets. Rarely does this happen, if I do get a reaction, it is generally positive or just a passing note. So yeah, usually going out and taking photos is therapeutic. On the other hand, editing and processing I find very tedious, sometimes disappointing (the photo I was excited about maybe didn't turn out how I thought). It is not fun for me, but after putting in that effort, and viewing nice prints or scans, I have greater appreciation and do find that somewhat therapeutic. I would be a lost soul without photography.
    cities & citizens - edmonton street photography (mostly), 100% film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    vpwphoto: Mid-life crisis when you wonder about the meaning of life and if anything has value after all. Try a good read of Ecclesiastes.

Another thing that helps is to give away your photography. By that I mean, print out some of the work you like, frame it and gift it friends and families. The appreciation and thanks you will get will kick you up to a higher level. And when you visit their homes and see your work on their walls, you will have a sense of immortality. Just like when you think about your kids. Good luck.
    I did this sort of a few years ago... I (ebayed) some fine stuff with No Reserve to "get it out there"
    I actually said "this a a very fine print, I am not 'discovered', own this piece of legitimate art, and who knows what your heirs will think about what you bought on a whim today"

I also used to travel a lot for Monsanto.. I shot a wonderful landscape in Minnesotta, I took a photo of the nearest mailbox, made a note of the road and zip code and sent it to the farmer a year later with my compliments. That was fun. Who knows what he/she did with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sort of. Photography itself is not particularly relaxing for me. Going for a walk, for the sake of the exercise, is not relaxing at all. But when I combine the two I get in a few hours of ambling along, taking the time to look at stuff, stopping to admire the view, shooting off a few frames. The companionship, and the pizza and beer at the end of it is definitely relaxing.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

Seahawks won Superbowl XLVIII.
    Next year's Superbowl is XLIX. Easier to pronounce than XLVIII. Sounds like XLAX.
    I hope that doesn't mean we won't be able to stop the run...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really enjoy taking pictures, procesing, even calibrating film to know what is needed to get the results I am hoping for.

Then the journey to make prints. I like it as well. Mixing the chems, slecting, the neg, proofing, work print, final print, either in b&w or color with my roller processor, or just mouting slides after a n e-6 run.

Then how to present it. Mount, matte, frame , or into protfolio, or mail away to whoever. Or just into a box to review whenever in the future.

The challenge for me right now is being short on time to indulge my hobby.

I am diligently saving and investing to bail on the rat race and retire early, when hopefully photogrpahy will find a large place in my retirement time.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin