Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 876

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    =vpwphoto;1452178 I shot a wonderful landscape in Minnesotta, I took a photo of the nearest mailbox, made a note of the road and zip code and sent it to the farmer a year later with my compliments. That was fun. Who knows what he/she did with it.
    That's a great act. Even better he didn't get back to you. Pure charity with no "thanks" back at you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Absolutely. All of my hobbies are therapeutic, why else would I persue them?
    Photography is like sex, if you find it therapeutic you ain't doing it right
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ^ Agree. Only when I get caught up in the moment and press the shutter prematurely! I usually need a cigarette when I see the negatives.
    'Cows are very fond of being photographed, and, unlike architecture, don't move.' - Oscar Wilde

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you shoot digital, are you faking it?
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    If you shoot digital, are you faking it?
    How was it for you ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have slightly high blood pressure so have to monitor it regularly. A day of photography, be it in the darkroom or outside shooting, tends to lower my blood pressure by at least ten points. I think I have finally figured out what I want to do when I grow up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    ...Yet at the same time, I can't imagine what it would be like being into something else like cars or guns, or whatever it is other people are really into.
    I've rarely seen any evidence that most people are really into anything. Just being swept along by popular culture, television adver-news-ing and peer pressure. But I'm usually outside looking in, so I'm probably wrong.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    There is nothing wrong with simply satisfying yourself.

For example, here in Colorado, the one picture a landscape photographer has to take (and will be judged by) is Maroon Bells. It's the most photographed spot in the state. There are weekend mornings where there is hardly room along the lakeshore for another tripod. Ansel Adams did a wonderful B&W version. Now why would anybody want to take another shot of it? It's been done to death. Anyone can go out and buy any number of truly spectacular prints, even print some off Flickr.

Well, it hasn't been done by me, yet. I've tried and failed. I don't care about all those other guys. I want to make my own. I don't want to sell it - who would want to buy it? I just want to take a beautiful photograph that does justice to one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Maybe at this point you need to tell yourself you are doing it for yourself. Just for the shear pleasure of doing it.
    While you're there, there's that "mining shack" along the Crystal River to shoot. It might have beaten out the 'Bells for calendar appearances. It's ready to collapse into the river and there was once debate about whether or not the Forest Service is going to 'preserve' it or let Time take its course. Better get that one before it's too late.

But you're on the right track. Find that image that's been done to death and throw your slant on it; a great endeavor! I've done my 'Bells shot and I'm not going back there. The hell with the shack.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin