Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,687   Posts: 1,548,619   Online: 1296

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: No go areas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The rough areas of cities would be about the only place I'd be really concerned.
    There are lots of wilderness places where people do mix with wildlife, as with very few beach goers around the world encountering sharks, most people go there and come back with no problem. Doesn't mean you shouldn't take reasonable precautions though.
    In actuality the same is true for the not so great parts of cities, but I'd put more trust in critters than fellow humans in many places. Mostly the critters prefer to avoid you, which isn't always the case otherwise.
    I've photographed from helicopters and small planes, no worries there (IME anyway).
    Besides some parts of some cities, my major no-go places would be in the path of destructive storms like tornados or hurricanes. Generally they are not so difficult to avoid though, especially if you are already mobile.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As a lot of APUG members seem to live in the USA, can I ask if you have any no go areas? Or what would you consider the most dangerous places to visit and take photographs in the USA.
    there are a few inner city crime areas you might want to avoid at night, especially in economically depressed areas such as detroit, but other than that the country is pretty safe and user-friendly.

That business about the hanta virus is sort of true, but i small media frenzy there. Wash your hands a lot, ur good.

oh, yeah, and if you go to yellowstone STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM THE BISON, THEY CAN RUN 30 MILES PER HOUR, YOU CAN'T.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It would have been more daring and dangerous had you asked Vaughn's ex-wife.
    I'm glad I have the wife I have and I hope we are together forever!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It seems each major city in US has at least one area that is drug infested and pretty risky.

In Orlando Florida area, an area behind downtown police building is one such area. I will not venture into that area even during day time alone and there's no way I'd go there during night. It's kind of scary because it's right next to very popular convention/trade show/concert complex. If you don't know the area and make a wrong turn, you'll be in it before you realize it.

If you are planning to go anywhere, it will be wise to ask someone local if and where those places exist, especially if you intend to go on foot and with an expensive looking camera.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the larger photographic retailers might be dangerous for your wallet.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    As a lot of APUG members seem to live in the USA, can I ask if you have any no go areas? Or what would you consider the most dangerous places to visit and take photographs in the USA.
    I do urban landscape photography and I've done a lot of night shooting. I've been going back and forth between LA County and Salt Lake City for the past six or seven years (yes, SLC is Mormon Town, but it has more than its share of drugs, crazies, and homeless).

I've had one camera stolen, but it was left in my then-girlfriend's unattended car. I've never had anything stolen from my person and I've never been injured, although I have been heckled and yelled at. I know I've been lucky, but I also think that when one crosses over to the wrong side of the tracks, it pays to keep a low profile and to be gentle and polite when approached. Loudly telling somebody to fuck off or calling them names is NEVER a good idea, whether it be a junkie or some jock.

I second what tkamiya said: when visiting a new city, it probably pays to be accompanied by a local. If that's not possible, try to use common sense; if you come across an alley with filthy mattresses and needles scattered about, the danger should be obvious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might give folks an idea of where you might want to go or what type of photography you want to do. One comment about buffalo could also be applied to alligators. They look slow and aren't. You can't out run them. Oh, you also can't win a fight with one either. My bet if you tell folks where you want o go, you will get some serious replies with great advice. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post

That business about the hanta virus is sort of true, but i small media frenzy there. Wash your hands a lot, ur good.
    Careful the advice you give people.
    By far the most common path of infection is through the lungs. It is rare, overall. But anywhere there are deer mice, it can be a danger. Deer mice are not very common in urban areas, but are common in rural areas. In California, only the deer mouse is a known carrier.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Sometimes people ignore what should be readily apparent. We have gatherings of photographers here 3-4 times a year. Within five miles there are three waterfalls. One year three guests were clowning around the safety signs at one of the waterfalls. The next day there was an accident in the same location. In my invitation now I write, “Please note the obvious, waterfalls can be dangerous. The day after our May, 2011 event a person unknown to us slipped and fell sixty feet to his death at Brandywine Falls.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Alligators avoid people whenever possible which makes land attacks very rare. The one exception would be a female defending her nest. However swimming at night or in murky water can lead to bites where a person is mistaken for a fish or other prey animal. But even these attacks are rare.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin