Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,096   Online: 823

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Most of this stuff is just arguing or pondering words that have lost their meaning. Art, craft, fine art, less than fine art....

Most of these artistic pursuits are just people trying to learn and perfect a craft, and once in a while they reach a point when one of their projects reaches the level of art...
    Yes, in some cases we are wearing out the words by endlessly discussing them. I thought this was a fresh take.

I admire people trying to learn and perfect a craft... That's the group I want to associate with... When it reaches the level of art... Then there is something I find remarkable.

I also admire, but on a different plane, those artists who can make a statement using photography without knowing the first thing about the craft. These same artists might create something the janitor accidentally cleans up. But it's different from what I am trying to achieve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When someone started acting out in public and described that as "performance art", I knew we were doomed.
    I think it's worse than that.... What on earth is Street Dance?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    The 2nd quote basically says its all semantics:

"Let us take pride in photography and let the rest take care of itself."
    But then the first quote takes a stance:
    "I have never maintained except possibly in my youth that photography was a fine art. I always referred to it as the art of photography. That puts us in the same class as the art of the hairdresser, the art of the manicurist, and possibly the bootblack. That's the way I like it."
    Is he saying it is all semantics but if he had to pick he would consider it like how the first quote suggests? We have a cake and eat it too going on here?
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Isn't the word art derived from artisan?
    No not exactly it means skilled crafts person and comes from the Latin (artit)in the same sense as the middle ages sense of artful ,artifice and artefact, it's more akin to skill of making things in the modern sense than the way we use the word art nowadays.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artisan
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-07-2012 at 02:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the quote ,it's pretty much how i see the art of photography. Makes me think of the Eric Clapton quote when asked about the whole 'guitar god ' bit . " Hopefully I'll be remembered as a journeyman guitar player. "

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Is he saying it is all semantics but if he had to pick he would consider it like how the first quote suggests? We have a cake and eat it too going on here?
    I'll continue where I left off, maybe it will clarify:

.."There is no longer any question, nor has there been any question in 50 years, that photography is entitled to the same consideration as other art mediums. As far as that is concerned, I don't think any medium is really an art medium. The only thing that makes any medium an art medium is the artist who makes the picture. And there are not too many of them..."

His next point is that the best training in photography is the understanding of self.

Then he goes on to explain what makes a photograph good, which is to put all you are into it. "Unless that image becomes alive, it's not a photograph. It's just a record."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you name yourself an "artist" you're a bullshitter and if some one else names you that, then maybe you are. Maybe.
    Quote of the day!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I'll continue where I left off, maybe it will clarify:

.."There is no longer any question, nor has there been any question in 50 years, that photography is entitled to the same consideration as other art mediums. As far as that is concerned, I don't think any medium is really an art medium. The only thing that makes any medium an art medium is the artist who makes the picture. And there are not too many of them..."

His next point is that the best training in photography is the understanding of self.

Then he goes on to explain what makes a photograph good, which is to put all you are into it. "Unless that image becomes alive, it's not a photograph. It's just a record."
    Very nice, inspiring too!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    Isn't the word art derived from artisan?
    No, the English word art is from the Latin ars the root is art- which does not appear in the nominative singular. Thus the MGM logo of the lion roaring at the motto "Ars gratia artis" which roughly translates as "Art for art's sake."

An ar·ti·san is a person skilled in an applied art; a craftsperson. This is very different from the meaning of an artist.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 09-08-2012 at 01:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian David View Post
    Quote of the day!
    My mother once said to one of my cousins when he graduated from medical school, " to me your a doctor, to the rest of the family your'e a doctor, but to a doctor are you a doctor ?"
    Speaking personally I always try to avoid photographers who refer to themselves as "Artists", because "self advertisement is no recommendation" .
    Ben

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin