Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,652   Online: 755

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I always try to avoid photographers who refer to themselves as "Artists", because "self advertisement is no recommendation" .
    Sometimes that's all the recommendation you are going to get!

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Sometimes that's all the recommendation you are going to get!

Steve.
    You guys are too funny!

It is an inspiring speech, and a damning one. I internalized the advice long ago, the part about how to become a successful photographer. The part that applies to me the worst is that he says without the "guts" to "sacrifice anything and everything to become a photographer, he won't succeed."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It always comes up. What do you do? I am a photographer. What kind of photography do you do. I am a fine art photographer. Oh you mean you photograph paintings for artists. No I make photographs that are art. Oh. (not convinced)

Or what do you do? I am an artist. Oh what sort of art do you do. I do photography. Oh yes that is sort of an art.

Lately I have been trying this... What do you do? I do art work. Oh what kind of art work? I find interesting objects and then arrange them as a sculpture then I use an old style large camera
    and make a very large negative. Then I mix up a photo sensitive solution from platinum and palladium salts and paint it on watercolor paper. Then I put the large negative on the paper and sandwich it between sheets of glass and expose it to the sun. Then I put it in solution that develops an image of the negative and then I put it in baths of Hydrochloric Acid to fix it. So I am kind of a sculptor and kind of a painter and kind of a photographer... oh cool.

Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Then I mix up a photo sensitive solution from platinum and palladium salts and paint it on watercolor paper. Then I put the large negative on the paper and sandwich it between sheets of glass and expose it to the sun. Then I put it in solution that develops an image of the negative and then I put it in baths of Hydrochloric Acid to fix it.
    Just tell everyone that you a a research chemist!

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It always comes up. What do you do? I am a photographer. What kind of photography do you do. I am a fine art photographer. Oh you mean you photograph paintings for artists. No I make photographs that are art. Oh. (not convinced)

Or what do you do? I am an artist. Oh what sort of art do you do. I do photography. Oh yes that is sort of an art.

Lately I have been trying this... What do you do? I do art work. Oh what kind of art work? I find interesting objects and then arrange them as a sculpture then I use an old style large camera
    and make a very large negative. Then I mix up a photo sensitive solution from platinum and palladium salts and paint it on watercolor paper. Then I put the large negative on the paper and sandwich it between sheets of glass and expose it to the sun. Then I put it in solution that develops an image of the negative and then I put it in baths of Hydrochloric Acid to fix it. So I am kind of a sculptor and kind of a painter and kind of a photographer... oh cool.

Dennis
    I was once introduced at a party by my host who knew I was a Photographer to a woman who he said was also a photographer and that we should have a lot in common, after the usual pleasantrys I asked her what format and type of camera she worked with, to my astonishment she replied " Oh I don't have a camera, I make pictures in my head" , I made a hasty retreat into another room and found my wife.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Oh I don't have a camera, I make pictures in my head
    At least the equipment is cheap... unless you want to upgrade.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    At least the equipment is cheap... unless you want to upgrade.

Steve.
    , Yes Steve, and it can be made by unskilled labour.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Lately I have been trying this... What do you do? I do art work. Oh what kind of art work? I find interesting objects and then arrange them...
    Works for me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A rose by any other name ..............

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think too many people these days are too intent on trying to make "Fine Art" and not willing to put in the effort to learn the principals of the art and science of fine photography. I'm often appalled by the ignorance of the basic principals of photography that some of these self proclaimed artists some of them claiming that they are professionals show when meet them and we talk about their work, although I admit I personally am not hugely knowledgeable on the technical side of the craft I've been a practical photographer for more than four fifths of my life, and have had to learn enough of the technicality s to do what I have had to do.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-09-2012 at 07:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin