Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,774   Online: 1011

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EASmithV View Post
    I had clothes!
    I was doing some nude photography out in the desert some years ago, but some other people showed up so I put my clothes back on...
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I was doing some nude photography out in the desert some years ago, but some other people showed up so I put my clothes back on...
    Shecky will be here all week, folks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I'm just imagining a Mexican standoff. Did you at least have the common decency to wear a holster?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wild camping & photography?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You wants a carry-on list!?
    ...do you even need to ask?! You were in my thoughts today mate, as I was rearranging me gear, making a new footprint for one of my tents, then stopping to decide which one to take... Weighing all my gas bottles, subtracting tare weights to figure out how many days each one has left (on my average of 27g's per day)... ALWAYS love seeing other people's pack lists and how they do it.

I'm heading away, probably after the weekend (meant to be really wet), and for the first time I'm making the conscious decision that photography is my secondary aim. I always go out with the intention of long days of quiet meditation, reading, journaling and strolling around, but it always turns into "oh, and I HAVE to take this camera, incase I come across this.. And if I see that, then ill need this kit too...". This one will be aaall about the time away, I'm not sure yet, but the camera kit might consist of, oh, I dunno, a 'Clack' or something!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Damit - Just booked some time off work and will have to go up to the Lake District first week of November. Should be nice and chilly up on the peaks which might discourage the casual tourist. Camera choice is already decided, as is the number of socks.... Should I take the -5C or the -10C sleeping bag..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wild camping & photography?

Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Damit - Just booked some time off work and will have to go up to the Lake District first week of November.
    ...damn... What a shame!
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Should I take the -5C or the -10C sleeping bag..
    Lakes, November, from what I've heard (being a Sthn Hemisphere guy) that should be a no brainer, -10 +silk liner!

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just reading the Ansel Adams autobiography, who slept in the snow in his - in the Sierra(s). I'm guessing in the 1930s sleeping bags were sleeping bags and it was good clothes that really mattered. Does 'much ado about nothing' sum up modern camping mentality?

P.S. My sleeping bag is -15C.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Lakes and Snowdonia were two places that left a big impression on me when the family visited the UK in 1988 (June): cold and wet and "out of season" like! Somewhere exists here Kodachrome slides of what I saw stepping out of the car in between "stream showers": an euphemism for chucking it down every 2 hours.

Snow is an insulator: you should not feel cold sleeping on it, but it will have mostly flattened or softened by morning. I've slept in the (Australian) alps at –6°C in a sleeping bag rated to –5, and it was effing cold!! Worse was being trapped in the tent by frozen zippers. Socks frozen, knickers frozen, beard frozen,. nose numb ... arrrrrrrgh—! The only thing that worked was the stove. Now it's Spring, warming up delightfully and I'm packing for a roadie.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Just reading the Ansel Adams autobiography, who slept in the snow in his - in the Sierra(s). I'm guessing in the 1930s sleeping bags were sleeping bags and it was good clothes that really mattered. Does 'much ado about nothing' sum up modern camping mentality?

P.S. My sleeping bag is -15C.
    There is very little consensus on how sleeping bag makers rate their bags, and in my opinion, many are hopelessly optimistic.

And remember, there are different types of 'cold' - dry cold or damp cold. Here in the Highlands of Scotland, it's not the overall temperature you need to worry about, but the real-on-the-mountain temperature when you factor in windchill and damp. And, no matter how good your sleeping bag is, if it's filled with down, it will lose insulation when wet. Keeping kit dry in a tent when packing and unpacking in the p*ssing rain on a mountain far from home is a skill in itself...!

As for camping on snow - there are endless types of mountain snow too - hard packed from mountain freeze / thaw cycles, hard-packed with a damp sleety top-layer, soft unpacked which is a bugger to pitch on etc. And the joys of freezing tent pegs etc.

However, lest this all become too gloomy, the rewards as you rise from your tent at first light on a sharp morning high up a mountain outweigh hardship and make you forget all those trips where you wake up miles from anywhere, heaving rain, wind blowing a hooly, in thick mist

My overall feeling is that it's a little futile to offer opinions on suitability of gear etc from the comfort of a comfy seat indoors, another thing to wild camp high on the mountains a few times, find out both how miserable / rewarding it can be, then start working out what kit best meets your own needs based on your experiences...
    Last edited by coigach; 09-26-2012 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd just take the smallest 35mm body with lenses around 28/50/135mm and as much film as you can sensibly fit into your pack (after the essentials, obviously). Don't take anything irreplaceable or seriously rare - for example, my SMC Pentax 120mm f2.8 never comes out if there's a real risk of damaging it, I use the common-or-garden Pentax-M 135mm f3.5 for those times instead. In fact the 28mm f3.5, 50mm f1.7 and 135mm f3.5 with an MX, ME Super or P30 would make an excellent outfit for this.

It really comes down to what the primary purpose of your trip is. I used to do a lot of 4x4ing, on those trips I'd just take something fairly indestructible and two or three easily replaced lenses. If you're driving, and especially if you're leading a group, you don't get time for photos as most people don't want to stop every five minutes. The primary aim here was to explore as many of the unsurfaced rights of way as you sensibly could before you ran out of daylight/weather/enthusiasm, any photos resulting were a bonus. At less than walking pace (as you don't want to damage the terrain or your vehicle) it takes a while to get anywhere, but that's part of the fun.
    Matt

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin