Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,890   Online: 1056

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Sounds more like an emotional issue than photography.
    maybe you're right, or maybe he just loved exposing film
    the file cabinet was full ...
    ziplock bags full of thousands of rolls of film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4f-...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zk1n...eature=related

and his leica had so much film through it there was a film image on the pressure plate
    http://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This is like the "If a tree falls in a forest..." idea. And so, it's already been pondered and exhausted. If there are latent images hidden away in an artist's draw, is it art? Does it really exist? Do we care? Who are we? Please kill me? We've already reached that philosophical dead end with images that have been processed and printed. Why waste more brain cells?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    maybe you're right, or maybe he just loved exposing film
    the file cabinet was full ...
    ziplock bags full of thousands of rolls of film

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl4f-...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zk1n...eature=related

and his leica had so much film through it there was a film image on the pressure plate
    http://www.cameraquest.com/LeicaM4G.htm
    I think that Winogrand had an obsession, or even an addiction for taking photos - I would say it was on an emotional level for sure.

I actually think that the idea does have merit - if someone offered you a roll of exposed by not developed film that was taken by a master, would you buy it? I have to admit, it would be tempting. THe hardest part would be making sure that its authentic (just like the bits of the Cross that have been sold all over the world!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I have the most incredible and magnificent images in my head that I never bothered to take pictures of, never stopped the car, never put down my beer and snapped a picture.

When I croak they should put my head on display and people can walk by and know that those images are in there, but just far too magnificent for the likes of them to see.

The greatest pictures never taken.
    You too, eh?
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    I think that Winogrand had an obsession, or even an addiction for taking photos - I would say it was on an emotional level for sure.

I actually think that the idea does have merit - if someone offered you a roll of exposed by not developed film that was taken by a master, would you buy it? I have to admit, it would be tempting. THe hardest part would be making sure that its authentic (just like the bits of the Cross that have been sold all over the world!)
    If you assembled all the bits of the True Cross in all the churches in the world, Jesus would have had to be 14 feet tall with a 15 foot armspan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    If you assembled all the bits of the True Cross in all the churches in the world, Jesus would have had to be 14 feet tall with a 15 foot armspan.
    What about all the bits of His Foreskin? Boggles the mind.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vivian Maier also, like Winogrand, left behind a vast amount of unprocessed (and nearly destroyed) film. It is now being developed and scanned after her death.

This also brings to mind another interesting point. Usually photographers themselves decide what their best or most desirable work is, and print and exhibit it accordingly. If your film is processed after your death, then someone else's view of your best latent work is being showcased to the public. Imagine walking through an exhibition of your photographs, but never having seen most of them before! ... Especially years hence, when most of your memories of taking those particular shots have faded from your mind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What about all the bits of His Foreskin? Boggles the mind.....

I started to say something about 'well hung' but decided it would be in terribly poor taste.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Vivian Maier also, like Winogrand, left behind a vast amount of unprocessed (and nearly destroyed) film. It is now being developed and scanned after her death.

This also brings to mind another interesting point. Usually photographers themselves decide what their best or most desirable work is, and print and exhibit it accordingly. If your film is processed after your death, then someone else's view of your best latent work is being showcased to the public. Imagine walking through an exhibition of your photographs, but never having seen most of them before! ... Especially years hence, when most of your memories of taking those particular shots have faded from your mind.
    That's a very good point. While I seriously doubt my work will ever get known as something important enough to salvage after my death, it is a little disturbing to think that somebody could exercise some sort of artistic skills on work I haven't done anything to other than expose the film. Provenance is another issue that is not clear; how can the work be clearly identified as made by a certain artist, without a signature or some other evidence that it was touched by them?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post

A very good point and this is a different twist to its use. I suppose I was thinking in my OP as using undeveloped but exposed film as in the same way a musician may use silence within their music, or perhaps a film maker may run a sequence of black within the story of a film. I think to use this concept effectively in exhibition, it would perhaps need to be placed at the end of a series of displayed (printed images) on a very specific theme with the undeveloped roles/cassettes identified as a continuation of this theme. In that way it would leave the viewer of the displayed prints asking questions about the content of these in relation to any artistic development shown in the final image on display, as I believe someone mentioned an unfinished symphony.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin