Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,416   Online: 779

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Latent images as conceptual art

You sometimes hear of well-known photographers leaving rolls or dark slides of unprocessed film after their death and I wondered if the demise of film and it’s chemical process know how, could mean that one day it maintains a special value in its latent image state? To process it may destroy the wonder of what it may behold. This may already be the case, but any thoughts?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    You sometimes hear of well-known photographers leaving rolls or dark slides of unprocessed film after their death and I wondered if the demise of film and it’s chemical process know how, could mean that one day it maintains a special value in its latent image state? To process it may destroy the wonder of what it may behold. This may already be the case, but any thoughts?
    Schroedinger's cat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't even want to go there, it's too weird
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bugger tugging at the forelocks of the dear departed's celluloid record. I'm taking it all with me. There will be nothing for the world to stickybeak at!
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Johannes Brahms was always his own severest critic. When he knew he would soon die, he destroyed all but a very few of his unpublished manuscripts. He did this to ensure that he would be known for only his best work. Other artists have done the same thing. In most cases the fact that films were never developed indicates that the photographer did not believe they contained any memorable images.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Johannes Brahms was always his own severest critic. When he knew he would soon die, he destroyed all but a very few of his unpublished manuscripts. He did this to ensure that he would be known for only his best work. Other artists have done the same thing. In most cases the fact that films were never developed indicates that the photographer did not believe they contained any memorable images.
    But did they?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But did they?

Considering that people buy old wines, never to drink them, and which may have gone bad in the bottle anyway, I'd say it could be not that far-fetched. If I somehow became famous, there's a few rolls of undeveloped Kodachrome in my freezer someone could speculate on.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...dark slides...
    WTF?!? Indeed, all of my dark slides start out with latent images of AA's most famous negatives, But somehow when I develop the film, the transfer has failed and all I get is my own cruddy work.

...and I wondered if the demise of film...
    Not if I and other APUGers have anything to do about it.

...To process it may destroy the wonder of what it may behold.
    Precisely. That is why I've stopped all processing of film and paper. The mere thought of what is there now prevents me testing virtuality against reality. Tomorrow: I stop pressing the shutter as well. Mind Pictures, that is where it's really at man.

...but any thoughts?
    Those are my correspondingly parsed and absurd thoughts, but then why bother posting them as they already existed in their latent state...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But did they?
    The artist didn't think that they did.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Schroedinger's cat.
    Schroedinger's cat is/was a photographer?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin