Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,139   Online: 923

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Would it be ethical to say that you studied under......

Let's say that a photographer attended several workshops over the years given by the likes of John Sexton, Michael Smith & Paula Chamlee, Per Volquartz, Etc.

Would it be "Proper" for him to say in his Bio that he "Studied Under" them?

Example:

Joe Photographer has studied under John Sexton, Michael Smith & Paula Chamlee, Per Volquartz and many other well known photographers.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It would be ethical.

Unless he was lying.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ouch that questions a real b**h. I guess that as it's OK to say the you've studied under Mr local college guy even if it was only a short academic course, the same would apply to a series of or several workshops if they were hands-on.

I'd add the proviso that if you could ask one of the mentioned photographers for a reference then you are known by them and have studied under them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is always ethical to cite who you studied under or what seminars you have attended, many don't have the means or the time to do actual full course studies at a photography school, but this does not diminish the education that you have attained by attending workshops and such by these individuals.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Why wouldn't it be ethical?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "studied under" and attended a weekend workshop imply different things to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige
    "studied under" and attended a weekend workshop imply different things to me.
    Although you do take direction from an instructor (study under) when taking a workshop. Of course, some take "studied under" to mean a long-term relationship. I wouldn't say "studied under" just for a workshop myself, but I'm not sure if it would be ethical or not - that would depend upon what the agreed (traditional) mean of "studied under" means.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Personally, I don't think using the phrase "studied under" would be ethical if the exposure was limited to a few workshops. I think most people would interpret "studied under" as meaning a longer-term teacher/student relationship, perhaps approaching that of a multi-year apprenticeship.

It would be far better, I think, to eliminate the "spin" and just mention the workshops attended - if that's even necessary. Name dropping quickly becomes transparent and often is counter-productive.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Images
    I'm with Ralph. Studied under is a relationship that goes beyond paying for a workshop. Sexton can say he studied under AA.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I agree with Nige.
    a weekend workshop or 2 -5 years
    I would thing the latter would be correct
    I am not sure that less than 2 years would be appropriate for any kind of proper teaching.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin