Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,500   Online: 693

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 26789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    I don't think I've eaten that many ducks in my whole life. What does one do with so many? How many ducks does one hunter shoot in a year or season?
    That was 6 guns worth. Our portion (2 guns) went into one of the best gumbo I've ever had. My husband is Cajun, and quite a chef.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There will always be prayer in public schools, as long as there are tests.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    35mm
    Do you have crucifixes in state school rooms?

(We in Italy have, since I think 1929, they are the subject of a certain polemic. In my high school on day 1 the crucifix was immediately put in a drawer of the teacher's desk. I remember one teacher entering on first day and saying: "I see you already made the crucifix disappear. Well done").

Sometimes common sense works better than legislative battles.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    There will always be prayer in public schools, as long as there are tests.
    I recall saying a few myself from time to time.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not that I'm aware of, but there may be religious symbols in some rural schools, particularly in the south, where complaining about it, while it would get them removed, would get a family completely ostracized in the community.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Even in Northwest Arkansas we didn't prayer in school.

Instead we were demanded to worship the football team.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here in Texas, as far as I know, religious symbols and the like are not allowed. Of course, as the poster above me mentioned, we are required to love and have faith in our sporting programs (football and baseball).

My kids are in private catholic school, but play on the football team that feeds into public school (city team), since our school doesn't go all the way to highschool, he enters public school in 7th grade). He wants to go to public, though, to play sports. Friday night lights is HUGE here in Texas. And as a season ticket holder to the Texas Longhors, he gets lots of football exposure.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Here in Texas, as far as I know, religious symbols and the like are not allowed.
    Hmmm... What exactly were George Bush and Rick Perry, then?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back on topic...
    I've had guns drawn on me, twice, while taking photographs.

The first was near a large farm. I was on the road (not private property) setting up with a 4x5, to take a photo of a tree. While under the cloth, I heard yelling, so I turned to see an old man, with a shotgun, heading my way. A few seconds later, his son came running, yelling "Dad. Stop!" The son got the gun from his father, apologized to me, explaining that "Dad" had Alzheimer's, and they should probably lock up his guns. Good idea...

The other time was frightening. I was hired by a DC real estate management company to photograph some of the buildings they managed. Mostly office buildings, but there were a few embassies, too. For some of the embassies there were very specific rules. One was the Saudi Embassy. I could only photograph from the street, and it had to be done at a certain time of day. The company I was working for cleared everything with the embassy secretary, and I was set to go. I arrived at the appointed time, and began working. Within 3-4 minutes, about 6 guys, with guns out, were running at me, screaming (I can only assume it was abusive, as it was in Arabic). They grabbed my camera ( an SLR) and had me lay on the ground. A few minutes later, a few DC police cars arrived, as well as a handful of big black SUV's from the State Department. I explained to the cops, and State Department guys, what I was doing. At that point, the Secretary came out, apologizing because he'd forgotten to tell his security guys to expect me. I was allowed to finish, but 2 of the security guys followed me around.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We certainly did pray when I went to school in Tennessee, but that was 1969 (first grade) - 1981 (high school graduating class.) I'm not sure if they've been dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century yet or not. I'm reasonably certain they aren't yet to the 21st.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin