Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,921   Posts: 1,522,097   Online: 715

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Back on topic...
    I've had guns drawn on me, twice, while taking photographs.

The first was near a large farm. I was on the road (not private property) setting up with a 4x5, to take a photo of a tree. While under the cloth, I heard yelling, so I turned to see an old man, with a shotgun, heading my way. A few seconds later, his son came running, yelling "Dad. Stop!" The son got the gun from his father, apologized to me, explaining that "Dad" had Alzheimer's, and they should probably lock up his guns. Good idea...

The other time was frightening. I was hired by a DC real estate management company to photograph some of the buildings they managed. Mostly office buildings, but there were a few embassies, too. For some of the embassies there were very specific rules. One was the Saudi Embassy. I could only photograph from the street, and it had to be done at a certain time of day. The company I was working for cleared everything with the embassy secretary, and I was set to go. I arrived at the appointed time, and began working. Within 3-4 minutes, about 6 guys, with guns out, were running at me, screaming (I can only assume it was abusive, as it was in Arabic). They grabbed my camera ( an SLR) and had me lay on the ground. A few minutes later, a few DC police cars arrived, as well as a handful of big black SUV's from the State Department. I explained to the cops, and State Department guys, what I was doing. At that point, the Secretary came out, apologizing because he'd forgotten to tell his security guys to expect me. I was allowed to finish, but 2 of the security guys followed me around.
    Both of those are pretty outside the norm.

Something like the first case worries me. He could easily shoot someone not knowing what he's actually doing or, around here anyway, just as easily get himself shot.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    explaining that "Dad" had Alzheimer's, and they should probably lock up his guns. Good idea...
    An even better idea would be to not allow him to own any guns.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    And as a season ticket holder to the Texas Longhors,
    Ooops.
    Best hope Mama didn't just get her boy's butt kicked.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format

The other time was frightening. I was hired by a DC real estate management company to photograph some of the buildings they managed. Mostly office buildings, but there were a few embassies, too. For some of the embassies there were very specific rules. One was the Saudi Embassy. I could only photograph from the street, and it had to be done at a certain time of day. The company I was working for cleared everything with the embassy secretary, and I was set to go. I arrived at the appointed time, and began working. Within 3-4 minutes, about 6 guys, with guns out, were running at me, screaming (I can only assume it was abusive, as it was in Arabic). They grabbed my camera ( an SLR) and had me lay on the ground. A few minutes later, a few DC police cars arrived, as well as a handful of big black SUV's from the State Department. I explained to the cops, and State Department guys, what I was doing. At that point, the Secretary came out, apologizing because he'd forgotten to tell his security guys to expect me. I was allowed to finish, but 2 of the security guys followed me around.
    Seems to me somebody should explain to those guards the way things are here in America, before there is a serious "incident".

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The problem with embassies is that they are considered in fact to be sovereign territory. Which is why someone can enter a foreign embassy and seek refuge, and so long as the embassy sees fit to grant it, the host country has no power to enter the embassy and remove the person. So technically the Saudi security guards were within THEIR rights to act the way they did, if the embassy grounds extended to where he was standing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    The problem with embassies is that they are considered in fact to be sovereign territory. Which is why someone can enter a foreign embassy and seek refuge, and so long as the embassy sees fit to grant it, the host country has no power to enter the embassy and remove the person. So technically the Saudi security guards were within THEIR rights to act the way they did, if the embassy grounds extended to where he was standing.
    Yes, IF. He said he was shooting from the street. That does leave ambiguity as to whether that street is on embassy grounds, or is a public street as I figured he meant.

Too bad some of our own embassies don't seem to be as self-protective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Ooops.
    Best hope Mama didn't just get her boy's butt kicked.
    Typo.

Longhorns.

We are smothered here by Aggies. Their spelling must be rubbing off on me...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was on the street, which placed me outside the embassy's jurisdiction. I knew that but, having guns aimed at me seemed an inappropriate time to mention it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was on the street, which placed me outside the embassy's jurisdiction. I knew that but, having guns aimed at me seemed an inappropriate time to mention it...
    Wouldn't much matter to me either .. I think I would have dropped a load in my shorts if a bunch of guys with guns screaming in Arabic came at me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Yes, IF. He said he was shooting from the street. That does leave ambiguity as to whether that street is on embassy grounds, or is a public street as I figured he meant.

Too bad some of our own embassies don't seem to be as self-protective.
    Does "street" mean traffic lane or sidewalk in this instance? While the guards' reaction may have been a bit extreme, given the current climate I cannot blame them.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin