Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,965   Online: 760

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 489101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Also bear in mind that it's the Saudis - they've always been hyper-protective of their embassy. Show up outside say the Finnish embassy or the French, and there's a good chance they'd invite you in for tea. Well, the French would demand an explanation of what you're doing, and then sneer at you a bit, and maybe order you to wander off when you're done. The brits would probably be a bit more hospitable, given how their embassy looks like an English country house, but they're also next door to the US Naval Observatory and the Vice President's house, so they get spill-over protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Does "street" mean traffic lane or sidewalk in this instance? While the guards' reaction may have been a bit extreme, given the current climate I cannot blame them.
    I sure as hell can.
    They should train their people on where they are and how to act. They have no right to have their people acting like thugs under any circumstances. They have no right to threaten and intimidate an American citizen (or anyone else) on American soil, forcing him to lie on the ground and confiscating his property. Their despotic regime in their own country survives because we protect their asses for our own political reasons. I get it, but I'd be damned if I'd be put through that shit in my country without raising a hell of a noise afterward.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Abusive comments when taking a shot

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I sure as hell can.
    They should train their people on where they are and how to act. They have no right to have their people acting like thugs under any circumstances. They have no right to threaten and intimidate an American citizen (or anyone else) on American soil, forcing him to lie on the ground and confiscating his property. Their despotic regime in their own country survives because we protect their asses for our own political reasons. I get it, but I'd be damned if I'd be put through that shit in my country without raising a hell of a noise afterward.
    +1!!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format

Abusive comments when taking a shot

+2

And we protect them for economic reasons (oil) not other political ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I sure as @#!*% can.
    They should train their people on where they are and how to act. They have no right to have their people acting like thugs under any circumstances. They have no right to threaten and intimidate an American citizen (or anyone else) on American soil, forcing him to lie on the ground and confiscating his property. Their despotic regime in their own country survives because we protect their @#!*% for our own political reasons. I get it, but I'd be damned if I'd be put through that @#!*% in my country without raising a @#!*% of a noise afterward.
    Unfortunately the guards are just guards, no more than hired hands, the responsibility lies above. If this happened on the sidewalk they may well have been within their 'rights", too - that is it may not have been on American soil.

What property was confiscated?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "They grabbed my camera ( an SLR)"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    "They grabbed my camera ( an SLR)"
    And they gave it back, he finished the shoot.

I remember going to the US embassy in Jeddah KSA in 1983. The car was searched, and I mean searched, I was searched - by fully armed US Marines, while a second squad stood by. This before I, a US citizen, was allowed on US soil. Sh!t happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya, sh!t happens. About 20 years ago I received a frantic phone call from my brother who was being detained by US Border Patrol because he, a US citizen, crossed the border into the US without proof of citizenship. His wallet was stolen by a thug, or hooker, or a drug dealer, or a liquor store owner, or a bartender while he was drunk in Tijuana. I don't know why "they" would think that a crazy white boy leaving Tijuana would not be a US citizen. He still thinks it is becuase he couldn't answer a single question they asked... in Spanish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    And they gave it back, he finished the shoot.
    They had no right to take it to begin with, drawing from the account given.

I remember going to the US embassy in Jeddah KSA in 1983. The car was searched, and I mean searched, I was searched - by fully armed US Marines, while a second squad stood by. This before I, a US citizen, was allowed on US soil. Sh!t happens.
    Different situation, different country, different shit.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was over 25 years ago, but there has always been a certain degree of paranoia among some "allies" .
    I was on the sidewalk, which was/is US territory. My camera was handed back to me by the DC police, after they took it from the Saudi guards. The decision to lay on the ground was my own. I didn't understand a word the guards were saying, and I wanted to appear as compliant as possible (remember, they had guns...). After it was over one of the State Dept guys said it was a smart move. If the guards had forced me beyond the gates, I would have no longer been on US property, which may have complicated my release. Still, the whole incident began due to a Secretary failing to inform his people I was supposed to be there, and I'm sure it also would have been cleared up quickly. The Secretary was very apologetic.

As an aside, I was treated really well by other embassies. At some, I was invited in, offered food/beverages, and even met a few ambassadors.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin