Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,522   Online: 1035

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6101112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    it's mainly about surrounding China which is seen as the major war threat in the next fifty years.
    China will not want to be at war with us or the rest of Europe or the US in fifty years as by then they will be outsourcing work to us because of our cheaper labour rates (I think it will actually be sooner than fifty years).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Don't kid yourself. They are solely about oil. Without oil we wouldn't give a damn about "projecting power in the region."
    Not kidding myself. It is not solely about oil. It is an important pinch point geopolitically, and there is much more than oil at stake. Oil has been no small part of it, though.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jenkin View Post
    Try walking round Marrakesh with a Leica during Ramadan. I was given a bollocking by some local Herbert whilst taking photos of a door (no-one remotely in danger of being in the shot). Not being the smallest of people or a shy, retiring type, I taught him some Anglo-Saxon phrases he probably hadn't come across before.

Later in the week, I had a couple of guys demanding money for being in a "general" shot of the street we were walking down. They got short shrift as well.

The world is full of miserable sods who will chance their arm in the hope that we will shell out cash easily. If you're just shooting a general scene in a public place, then tough it out. If you want to photograph someone specific and you want to get in close, then it's only polite to ask their permission and to accede to their wishes, especially if they say "no". Candid shots can be fun but they can also be very hit and miss.
    I got chased and yelled at by some snake charmers in Marrakech a couple of years ago after taking their picture. I used a digital camera so I'm not sure if it counts.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-o View Post
    I used a digital camera so I'm not sure if it counts.
    It does... but only in binary.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    China will not want to be at war with us or the rest of Europe or the US in fifty years as by then they will be outsourcing work to us because of our cheaper labour rates (I think it will actually be sooner than fifty years).

Steve.
    One of the main reasons for wars isn't about gaining territory, but about securing markets for a countrys manufactured goods (which was why America was so keen for the British Empire to break up after WW11, and the fact that Britain was massively in debt to them), China already has the major markets for western goods, the U.S.A. and many European countrys are already massively in debt to China which is a why she can apply enormous pressure on the west that could actually end in war.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    so keen for the British Empire to break up after WW11
    Wow, I only knew about two of those...You guys sure like to fight, dontcha?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does... but only in binary.

Steve.
    OK, now that's funny.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    You guys sure like to fight, dontcha?
    It got a bit boring after WW5

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Steve.

a lot of people are already outsourcing their work
    and it isn't only to china

http://www.theonion.com/video/more-a...oversea,14329/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I once rang Directory Enquirys to get the phone number of somebody who lives in a village about twenty miles away from my home that I have visited several times, the Directory Enquirys man who answered the phone who had an almost unintelligible Indian accent told me the place where the person I needed to contact lives didn't exist, and when I asked him where he was speaking from he replied "Bangalore"
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin