Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,743   Online: 924

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71112131415161718 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I once rang Directory Enquirys to get the phone number of somebody who lives in a village about twenty miles away from my home that I have visited several times, the Directory Enquirys man who answered the phone who had an almost unintelligible Indian accent told me the place where the person I needed to contact lives didn't exist, and when I asked him where he was speaking from he replied "Bangalore"
    For the un-initiated ...

"Directory Enquiries" is the same as "Directory Assistance", and if you are young, the Directory was a book with names and corresponding telephone numbers that you could look up.

And if someone "rang" someone, it means they called them up on the telephone.

Hope the translation services assist you
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For the un-initiated ...

"Directory Enquiries" is the same as "Directory Assistance", and if you are young, the Directory was a book with names and corresponding telephone numbers that you could look up.

Thanks Matt, who said we speak the same language ?, I once found to my cost when I was in the military that to "knock someone up" means something completely different in North America
    I actually have an American daughter in law, and some of the misunderstandings my wife and I have with her about language are hilarious.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The differences between the UK and the US/Canada are not really any worse than the regional variations within the US itself. I had a friend who was from New York City (the Bronx I believe). When he was a little kid, his family took a vacation trip to Maine. He went in a store in a small town and bought a bottle of Coke and some potato chips. The clerk put the chips in a paper bag, then turned to him and said "would you like your pop in the sack?". For a moment he thought she was inquiring if he was into father/son incest.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    For the un-initiated ...

Further to this excellent definition, the telephone had a "keypad" with which to enter the numbers,

before which there was a "dial" which you rotated with your index finger for entering the numbers,

before which you could pick up the phone, and if there wasn't another "party" on the line, you could ask the "operator" to connect something like, "REGENT 3-7833"...

before which a phone was a microwave oven-sized box with a handle on its side which for some unknown (to me) reason you would crank several times and ask "Sue-Ellen" to get you "Hank" on the "line", all whilst holding something that looked like a draft glass to your ear and speaking into a funnel on the front of the phone.

Note: for 99% of this history, photographers used something called "film" in their cameras... and they liked it.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    ......with a handle on its side which for some unknown (to me) reason you would crank several times and ask "Sue-Ellen" to get you "Hank" on the "line".....
    I believe the cranking rang the bell or lit a light at "Sue Ellen's" end so she would "see" or "hear" you and connect to your hole on the board.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    I believe the cranking rang the bell or lit a light at "Sue Ellen's" end so she would "see" or "hear" you and connect to your hole on the board.
    Thanks, Rich... that is pretty much as I guessed.

And Sue-Ellen listened to every word you said... thereby keeping the whole community up to date.

I might add that before this, some guy with a beard spoke into a petri dish filled with charcoal saying, "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Um, most of them still have keypads. At least phones other than mobile smartphones do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Um, most of them still have keypads. At least phones other than mobile smartphones do.
    Thanks, Roger.
    I stand corrected... I was speaking mainly for the benefit of modern folks, to whom Sue-Ellen is known as "Siri"...

and we have come full circle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Roger.
    I stand corrected... I was speaking mainly for the benefit of modern folks, to whom Sue-Ellen is known as "Siri"...

and we have come full circle.
    It's easy enough to have a smartphone and think the world uses them. But I'm sitting beside my cordless home phone (albeit connected to a Vonage provided VoIP port on my home router) with a keypad, and my office desk at work has a keypad on the Cisco VoIP phone that lives there.

I swear when I build out my basement I'm going to finish it like it walked out of the 60s, rotary dial phones and all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Further to this excellent definition, the telephone had a "keypad" with which to enter the numbers,

before which there was a "dial" which you rotated with your index finger for entering the numbers,

before which you could pick up the phone, and if there wasn't another "party" on the line, you could ask the "operator" to connect something like, "REGENT 3-7833"...

before which a phone was a microwave oven-sized box with a handle on its side which for some unknown (to me) reason you would crank several times and ask "Sue-Ellen" to get you "Hank" on the "line", all whilst holding something that looked like a draft glass to your ear and speaking into a funnel on the front of the phone.

Note: for 99% of this history, photographers used something called "film" in their cameras... and they liked it.
    It's before my time but I think cranking the handle generated electricity to signify to the operator on the switchboard you wanted a line to call somebody, when the operator answered you asked them to connect you with the required number.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 10-14-2012 at 06:50 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin