Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,072   Online: 720

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Texans must really like Glocks. They even have a congressional district shaped like one. Really!
    I heard that on NPR the other evening!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

I prefer longarms myself. A bayonet on a revolver looks ridiculous.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 09-25-2012 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I prefer longarms myself. A bayonet on a revolver looks ridiculous.
    You should try one on a cannon (not a Canon).

Steve.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have yet to have a landscape yell at me. I do shoot in area that are generally considered dangerous, lately the Flats or warehouse district of Cleveland, Ohio. At age 72 pushing a 7x17 in a baby jogger I am resigned to the fact that I can not run away from a threat. I prefer and usually shoot with another pair of eyes, usually a 50 year old man with an 8x10. He is no more likely to run than I. We try to always have one of us looking about while the other is under a dark cloth. We both have cell phones and I carry a bottle of bear grade Mace (pepper spray) on my belt in plain sight.

We are very polite to who ever approaches us. Usually they are honestly curious what we are doing, what that big thing on the tripod is, and why we are there. In most cases they find nothing attractive about what we are shooting and wonder what we see in it.

In one particularly bad neighborhood a man about 25 years old approached and said, “Excuse me for bothering you, Sir, but what is that thing and what are you doing?” I explained that it was a camera designed for wide angle pictures and I was interested in the large freighters and the bridge building on the Cuyahoga River. He thanked me and said that it was interesting. I thanked him for being so polite, and said it was a new experience in this situation.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichý

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    You should try one on a cannon (not a Canon).

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US...hdad_2003.JPEG

If you squint while viewing it looks like these tanks were equiped with sword bayonets.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    My favorite, being the giving of abusive comments, particularly when someone is taking a long time setting up a shot, is "Take the shot, Ansel!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John, that's about all I get, too. "What are you doing? Is that a video camera? Is that a Leica? What are you taking a picture of? You should really get one of the sunset...

Most people don't get it or care or realize I'm shooting black and white..

Then I stick the kid back in the baby jogger with my bayonette muzzle loader and leave.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The other day I had my Pentax 645n with its 120mm macro mounted on a focus rail on my Manfrotto tripod shooting a dog-tooth violet in my front yard. My next door neighbor, who rarely speaks to us, hollered "Mighty fancy camera, George. Is that a Nikon?" I told her it was a film camera, a Pentax, and that Nikon had never made anything like it. She seemed disappointed that it wasn't a Nikon and wasn't digital. Now, had I been using my baby Busch Pressman she probably would really have gone off the rails.

Not abusive, maybe, but irritating.

Shooting with the same camera someone asked me how many megapixels, can I see the LCD? I told him 30 to 50 depending on what film I used and the dpi level of a scan. He stomped away mumbling "GD smart***" or worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was up at the local overlook with my camera and 500mm mirror lens on a tripod, setting up a shot of the mountain in the distance. A couple of young guys were sitting in a vehicle slightly off to side. As I get ready to take the shot, I hear in a perfect SoCal dude accent, "Hey don't take my picture, duuude!" I assured him I wasn't and told him he was nowhere near being in the image. He replied, "Awright dude, cool."

Later I reflected on how little the speech of a significant subset of local youth has changed in the last 35 years or so.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin