Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,968   Online: 1062

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Abusive comments when taking a shot

When taking photographs, have APUG members ever had any abusive comments? I can only recall one when photographing a guy unloading a mirror out of a lorry on an island off the west coast of Ireland who told me to F.O. I didn’t mind as I did not get the angle I wanted for the shot.
    Last edited by cliveh; 09-23-2012 at 04:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A nut-job in Central Park dressed up like Bootsy Collins on way too much acid gave me a verbal dressing down for trying to take his picture, after I threw 5 dollars in his hat for the 'performance' he was putting on.

A saxophonist in Berlin did the same thing. I took the money I gave him first out of the hat and told him to FO2.

I don't mind, just don't give it if you can't take it. Now I carry little business cards and if I take someone's picture, I give them a card and tell them I'll send them a copy. That goes a long way :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not really, but I had a funny incident the other day when shooting with my 5x4 camera. I was set up on the side of a secondary road when a learner driver approached and stopped right near me. She sat there for a while and I finally went over and asked her why she had stopped, to which she replied "I thought you were a traffic controller" Haven't had that before!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Only once back in 1972/3 when shooting some photos for a fellow student. We were photographing local housing and a pub for his project/thesis, there was a Jaguar and a businessman an and a blonde . . . . . . . .

Say no more we were in the red light area of Birmingham, UK, although I didn't know that at the time. It made sense once I knew.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you've never had abusive comments, you're not doing it right
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many times. Heckling, harassment (including by abusive security guards), and several frightening incidents. To some extent it is the nature of the type of photography I do - urban landscape, usually during the night or very early morning, with long set-up and exposure times.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago I took a couple of available light general shots with my Praktica LTL in the handsome atrium of the Boston Public Library. A young woman stormed up and demanded that I give her the film I'd shot since she was in them. I guess she was, but it was a public place and she was quite distant and, I think, facing away. I refused, saying it was a public place, and she stormed off to get "security." We left. Sort of ruined a nice visit, especially since I am a Librarian.

These days I might have waited around to see what "security" would say to her and me. She was a whack job, I think. Plus I try to carry with me http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm a brief guide to photographers' rights.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's only polite to ask permission before you photograph a person or their property. If you don't you can get more than just verbal abuse. Don't ever photograph children without a parents permission unless you like prison food.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    You can photograph children if you are a woman, that's the rule.
    If you are a man, some ass cavity will think you are a paedophile.

I actually routinely take pictures of play areas (which are normally very colourful) and merry-go-round (again) with all the children seasoning. Nobody raised questions (so far).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    No. I live in the land of "Lutheran Niceness." That is, if there are any people around at all.

Kent in SD

Page 1 of 18 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin