Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,714   Online: 1124

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Calumet gets my vote also. I suggest that whenever going to Calumet's website, go there from APUG so that they (Calumet) see traffic coming from APUG - and hopefully will continue to support APUG. Calumet has better customer service; I just ordered two boxes of Velvia from them this morning.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't forget freestyle. They have good prices and very fast shipping.

Shooter
    Large Format
    MY MY all this free advertising for B an H. I for one take all of this to heart and when I hear stories like this it has an effect on where I spent my money. Are you listening B and H.
    May I suggest that you contact the attorney generals office. Mr. Spitzer is running for governor in NY and would like to know about your experience with companies doing business in NY.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I quit the B@H hassle a couple years ago for your same reasons. As Jorge stated if you go into the store things are great but ordering is a nightmare. Calumet is exceptional other than their prices. I usually order my stuff from Samy's camera in Los Angeles their prices are at least competitive and their customer service is always responsive and more than I ask for.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do a good 75% of my shopping at B&H in person but I don't doubt what you say. They have been declining in goods and services over the past couple of years. I see their analog inventory getting smaller & smaller and their digital inventory increasing plus the addition of TV's/Home Theatre/DVD Players, etc.

I have personally written off Ilford and Agfa as sources of paper and chemistry and put Kodak on the back burner. Living in NYC it just doesn't seem right to shop by mail but maybe that's what it's coming to.

I guess B&H is becoming a main stream electronics retailer.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i stopped buying from them some time ago, as i found them to be rude. I don't except to be handled with kid gloves, but a simple thank you goes a long way. Move over to Adorama where at least they said hello, goodbye and thanks.

However, i too give a thumbs up for Calumet. bit more expensive, nicer to deal with.
    also, freestyle has been very helpful and easy to deal with. I rather buy locally, but that is getting more difficult with my dealer carry a much smaller line of items. just can't walk in and expect to see what one would have several years ago. they (my dealer ) good at ordering for me, but i have to keep ahead of the power curve.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've always found the staff to be more pushy at Adorama than B&H, but experience in person is probably different than dealing with mail order. The B&H staff in the pro, LF, and lighting departments are pretty good, and there are a few knowledgable guys in the tripod and case sections, but you don't want to deal with most of the staff in the sections that sell more consumer-type equipment. The film counter seems to be entry level, but there are a coulple of long-term staff there and in the darkroom section who know what's what.

In any case, if you have a problem with B&H, contact Henry Posner directly, and he'll work things out in a fair way.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had better luck with B&H compared to Adorama. I've never had a problem with B&H, but Adorama has messed up one of my orders pretty badly (an E+ condition back usually means a back that actually works...) The people at Adorama also seem like they are in a big hurry to get off the phone too. I've always had good service from Freestyle and Calumet.
    -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been ordering from B&H since the time the store opened and you had to order by phone. Never a problem. A couple of years ago, I ordered a Canon EF 400/5.6L lens on which the manual focus ring jammed three days after I got it. I called, they said return, I returned, they promptly sent another lens that was perfect. With Adorama, I've never had any problems but I don't order much from them. I've had no problem with Calumet or with Freestyle. Buying used equipment from KEH and several smaller photo equipment dealers has all been smooth and satisfactory.

In fact, I never had any problem with places like Cambridge and Tri-state and they have lousy reputations for customer service.

I suppose I've been extremely lucky considering the amount of money I've spent on mail order photo gear over the years.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i only work with these folks on the phone, and find that Adomara was in a hurry but at least you knew there was a person on the other in of the line, not true with b&h.

In another life i trained customer service reps who only dealt with people on the phone so i am very atuned to what is happening on the phone which perhaps made me more sensitive to sublte shifts in the conversations. Am glad to hear others had more success with b & h as we need everyone possible to keep carryng our supplies.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin