Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,858   Online: 938

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

B+H = Big Headache!

SO, a few months ago, back when I had time for things beside portfolio work, I ordered a Bess R2 with a lens from B&H. The first lens that came with it had a bad aperture ring. So I sent it back. B&H sent a new lens. This one had a VERY large flaw in the lens (like 3-4mm). So it went back too. Then I finally got a good lens.

So I loaded up the camera, took a roll...

And the rewind lever shattered (not snapped...shattered...like a bazillion pieces), in my hand.

Not good.

So I called B&H. After a BIG deal, they agreed to fix it if I sent it to them. I did.

After a few MONTHS, I FINALLY got a hold of them about this body.

They are now saying that Voigtlander has the body and that it is "totaled" somehow (for a bad rewind lever?) and that they can't repair it and that B&H has nothing to do with this.

So I have a useless body, a useless lens, a useless set of accesories and a $1,000 hole in my life now.

This is just unbelieveable. I buy almost all my supplies from B&H and this is how they treat me? And Cosina is a joke! The quality of their equipment is just crap apparently. At least from my view of things. Worst yet, I may never get the body back! Some sort of "issue" with that now!

How can a company like this survive? Is this unusual fro B&H or standard?
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Images
    What does Cosina have to say?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Have you tried to contact Henry Posner at B$H? He may be able to help.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Images
    B&H has been slipping in the past couple of years. They built their reputation on low prices, things always being in stock, and good customer service. All of that seems to be slipping (in my opinion). in the past year, I have had to return two defective pieces of equipment. Both times they have refused to pay for return shipping :| I order from amazon now.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    FWIW, I've never had any such problems with B&H. Adorama either...well, except the time I ordered a year's worth of film and they sent me...a year's worth of film and a slightly used Mamiya RB67 kit...?!?!?

Keep after them. I'm sure they will resolve your issue satisfactorily.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is why I buy ALL of my new gear from Calumet. They stand behind their products 110% and have excellent customer service.

Out of the many orders I had over the last year there where 2 issues and they took care of it right away.

Some things you might pay slightly more for, but to me it is worth it.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to their ads on the radio here, B&H has moved into home theater as well as photo, video, and pro-am audio gear. When you visit the store it's hard to believe things run as efficiently as they do...the place is huge and usually very crowded at the times I've been there. OTOH, they've resolved problems I've had with orders satisfactorily although, had I not been able to go there in person, I don't think I'd have been accomodated nearly as well as I was. So...mixed review from me. They've perhaps exceeded the critical mass where they can balance huge inventory and customer base, against adequate customer service. I hope your posting here will make a difference and that a site such as this can make even a small impact.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

B&H customer service (oxymoron)

If things go right with B&H it's great. If not, it's horrible.

A buddy of mine ordered an 80-200 EDIF Nikkor from B&H a couple of years ago. When it arrived it was missing its rear lens element. He called them. They told him it was a warranty issue! They refused to do anything and made him send it back to Nikon.

I had a meter back ordered once. They just refused to even respond to me. I told them when I ordered that I didn't want anything that wasn't currently in stock. The meter arrived almost 7 months later with no note and certainly no apology.

Caveat emptor!
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Unfortunatelly it seems they keep the good items for in store customers and they send the crap to mail order customers. I ordered a Jobo CPA, and had to return it, it was used and plainly it did not work properly. But then when I did a job in NY and visited their store, I bought a lens and a loupe new and I got what I paid for. Given that like you 50% of the stuff I ordered by mail came defective I now refuse to order from them anything......it is not worth the hassle. I will buy from them if I am in NY, but will not order a lens cap by mail....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote here for Calumet, BH had a doran fan listed as "special order" which usually means a 4 month wait. Calumet had the same fan, same price listed as available. So I put in an order. I got an actual email from a sales rep not an automated mail. We exchanged 4 emails discussing shipping arrangements to NZ, within 2 weeks the fan was here

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin