Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,089   Online: 886

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    bvy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... the only risk when processing found film is that if you seek professional processing/printing and IF there were something illicit/illegal on the film, then you'd be left holding the bag.
    Eric Ambler, Epitaph for a Spy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David, the fact that you even bring it up for discussion shows that you have a conscience, and that you care about the privacy of the person that you bought the camera from. Nobody is perfect, and I don't think what you did was substantially wrong. If you have her address just send the film back. If not, and she doesn't reply within a year or so, just discard it.
    Would it have been better to hand her the unprocessed film? Sure. But you didn't, and it's not the end of the world. You offered to send the film back to her, and she didn't respond. That says to me she isn't that interested after all. If you need to explain yourself, it's probably best that you thought it would be a nice thing to do, to process the film for her, but on second thought you regret doing so. If she can't find it in her heart to forgive you for processing her roll of film for free, and offering to send it back, then I think she's the one that has a problem, and not you.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchased a Baby Rollie 4x4 that had a exposed roll so i decided to process it.. I emailed the seller the images and he was very happy to see the images of himself taken on a hiking trip when he was a much younger man.. You did the correct thing, there was no invasion of privacy..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would leave the film unprocessed and contact her about her roll of film. If she doesn't respond, I'd just throw away the film. You're not really obligated to tell her about the film because it's really your property.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought cameras with film in them a number of times. I'm "presumptuous and thoughtless" enough that I tossed it. I don't care if the film depicts Sasquatch, I can't be bothered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by artonpaper View Post
    I don't care if the film depicts Sasquatch, I can't be bothered.
    What about Nessie?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What about Nessie?
    I've got a few portraits in 5x4. Not showing anyone though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have the opportunity, offer to either return the film unprocessed or, if you are so inclined, offer to develop it for the person and share any results.

In a lot of cases cameras like this actually belonged to deceased or incapable relatives and sellers are appreciative of the opportunity to discover what is on the film.

If you get no response to the offer, do what you wish.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    david, just throw the film out. its not worth the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I had sent number of free stuff here on APUG and I even paid for the shipping as I knew the "buyer" had limited funds. After the package was delivered, there wasn't even a word of "thanks" or acknowledgement via emails. I'm quite surprised at this but oh well.

I will just do what I think is right and in good conscience/faith. People behave in strange and unexpected ways.

My point being.... you can't do things and make a decision based on what someone might do or think as they can be quite predictable. You only have your own conscience to follow.
    t -

i know what you mean, it's a leap of faith.
    over the years i have bought people subscriptions to apug
    ... i knew they had limited means &c ...

one of these people tried to have me expelled from the website
    for being nice ...

go figure.

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting how this ran the full gamut of opinion and quite telling just how differently we all think. I did not 'suffer' from my seeming omission here but I did want to run this by just to see what you would have done. This incident was over a year ago and the film is long gone into the incinerator.

More than the specific incident is the mindset that runs from 'you did serious wrong' to 'you did nothing wrong'. And I am sure that each can make an honest case as to his/her respective position. I feel no lingering guilt here: my intentions were noble (albeit just a mite curious). In essence, it is no big deal but I would not do that again perhaps.

Thomas Bertilsson, I think, gave the best overall answer as his covered all ground without polarizing the situation. However, I do thank you all. And, of course, further comments on this ethical question might also shed new light upon our habits as humans. We are revealed not only by our actions but also by our reasons for such. - David Lyga

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin