Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,691   Posts: 1,482,386   Online: 710

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IDK about the photo mags, but for electronics trade mags there is a big difference between independent reviews, reviews by staff writers, and reviews written by advertisers.

For the last category there is no conspiracy... just business (and often rather unethical business)

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    A 'bad' product could have been defined by ME for many reasons; I was never told by anyone else a product was 'bad'. If I didn't like a product, I just never wrote about it. My point being, I was NEVER told by anyone else how to judge a product; there is absolutely NO conspiracy.

Keep in mind that reviews ARE VERY subjective - just because I liked or didn't like something is no guarantee that you will like it or not.

There is no conspiracy.
    Thank you for the clarification. BTW I don't believe in a conspirancy either.

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Have you guys notice a lot of articles online, when it comes to comparing digital and analogue photographs, they purposely makes the analogue one looks very bad. Do you guys notice that too?
    Yes, I've noticed that. They're not conspirators though, just halfwits.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    IDK about the photo mags, but for electronics trade mags there is a big difference between independent reviews, reviews by staff writers, and reviews written by advertisers.
    Like I said, reviews are subjective. You should always consider the author, but most importantly, they should ALWAYS only be a starting point in YOUR evaluation of a product.

BTW, in my opinion, 'reviews written by advertisers' would come under the heading of 'press release' and NOT 'product review'.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For some ungodly reason, I somehow became subscribed with Outdoor Photography which had some reviews including things like "With 12mp full sensor, even the best 35mm cannot compete..." and "clearly, Ansel Adams would have used an iMac with an iPad to get the most out his tools."

What a bunch of crap. Those types of reviews obviously are written with a bias not even close to being level headed.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gosh, I thought when I saw digital and analog comparison photos here on APUG, the digital photos were always made to look bad.... ;-)

Seriously though, I REALLY doubt there is any conspiracy involved in either case.
    Having written for many photo publications during the past 19 years I can state I was NEVER told what to say or write!! I once asked what to do about products I didn't like, and was told "we have plenty of good products to write about, we don't need to waste time writing about bad products".
    There's a few here who have written for photomagazines over the years and in recent years they've found that magazines don't want analog/film based articles. I can thinkl of two excellent UK writers who've been shunned by a magazine they contributed a lot to.

Is there a conspiracy ? Very possibly, the big players in the digital market place have stiffled analog content in most magazines, advertisers have a lot of pwer over editors/advertising departments.

This happened before digital where some advertisers had such big budgets they could influence equipment review. A classic case was Hoya who released a range of lenses for 35mm cameras with great reviews, only to fall flat because the lenses were truly awful, very poor Multicoating and excessive flare, despite actually being quite sharp !!! The complete range was pulled, the brand name dropped from the company's lenses, after a complete redesign they relaunched a higher quality range under their Tokina brand name.

Some magazine have no real bias, the BJP in the UK for instance, sure Digital equipment dominates but theyt do report on films, papers etc but we have to accept that what we want is now a small part of the market.

But when a magazine runs a B&W issue with no mention of B&W film (or paper) then yes we must question the editorial policy and ask why not. The magazine I have in mind has advertisers selling analog materials.

So please keep doing what you are, getting analog articles into anywhere you can.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    What a bunch of crap. Those types of reviews obviously are written with a bias not even close to being level headed
    I don't know if it's bias (which I doubt) or just plain lack of real subject knowledge (my guess).

For many years as a member of the photographic press I attended photo and computer trade shows. In the press room, there was a fairly small group of people I knew well and respected; there were also many others who's photographic background was suspect IMO.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Ansel Adams would have used an iMac with an iPad to get the most out his tools."

What a bunch of crap. Those types of reviews obviously are written with a bias not even close to being level headed.
    How do you know that? If you feel creative (I won’t use the word artist), you use whatever medium suits what you are trying to create. Look at David Hockney’s iPad drawings. The image rules, not the medium.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I can think of two excellent UK writers who've been shunned by a magazine they contributed a lot to.
    That's surprising, most mags are always looking for good fact based content. They don't write opinion based criticisms of digital imaging touting analog, do they? I doubt there is much market for that sort of article. I would think an up-beat article discussing the fun of shooting analog and telling people how to get involved would sell.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I meant the idea that you can just start throwing names out there like that. He's dead, so we can start positing on what cameras he'd use now? What computers!? Hell, did he ever use a computer? I just didn't understand why bringing him into this article about how awesome the new iMac and iPad are is relevant.
    K.S. Klain

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin