Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,297   Online: 870

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's an example of a heinously poorly done and biased test. http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re..._vs_8x10.shtml

This spawned a few threads over at LFPF.
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 09-26-2012 at 02:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Like I said, reviews are subjective. You should always consider the author, but most importantly, they should ALWAYS only be a starting point in YOUR evaluation of a product.
    Much like movie reviews, consider the reviewer. Agreed!

This is probably a good reason for the success of Ebert and Siskel. The viewer knows (knew) the tendencies of each of the men to like or dislike different kinds of movies. If Siskel liked a movie but Ebert didn't, or vice versa, you could use that information to decide whether you might like the movie. Maybe you like Gene Shalit. You would decide on whether you like a movie based on what you know about him. You might even decide that, because some reviewer doesn't like a movie, you will.

The same thing applies to on-line reviews at IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic. You decide to watch a movie, not simply because it gets a good or bad review but you consider the source of that review in making a decision.

Why do people not take the same things into account when they read a review of some photo equipment in a magazine or on-line publication?

If people can read a review or a press release about a movie and say, "That's nothing but a puff piece," why don't they do the same when they read an article or an advertisement about photo gear?
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's surprising, most mags are always looking for good fact based content. They don't write opinion based criticisms of digital imaging touting analog, do they? I doubt there is much market for that sort of article. I would think an up-beat article discussing the fun of shooting analog and telling people how to get involved would sell.
    Analog is a small part of the market now but remember that the UK markets also smaller than the US. The magazine I'm alluding to is trying to have a more digital bias despite a high proportion of its readers using nanalog. So when an analog photographer is featured they run an article on how to get similar results using digital and no mention of film.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Here's an example of a heinously poorly done and biased test.
    It looked pretty fair to me; what it points out is the great difficulty in trying to pull off such a test. All you can really say about the results is that they apply to the two systems tested, but I didn't see any bias.

One quick though of mine was possible lack of film plane flatness on the 8x10. At Kodak, we would have used a vacuum film holder to assure film plane flatness.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scanning 8x10 negs at 745 dpi? Good lord.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    35mm
    The Dianippon drum scan resulted in a 64 megapixel image vs the 80 megapixel digital image (and is a good scanner); that's not my problem with the test. The aspect ratios are different so the real difference in size is less - the film image would be 70 megapixels.

Like I said " All you can really say about the results is that they apply to the two systems tested". There were lots of variables that weren't controlled.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Dianippon drum scan resulted in a 64 megapixel image vs the 80 megapixel digital image (and is a good scanner); that's not my problem with the test. The aspect ratios are different so the real difference in size is less - the film image would be 70 megapixels.

Like I said " All you can really say about the results is that they apply to the two systems tested". There were lots of variables that weren't controlled.
    For starters, look at the inadequate tripod they put the 8x10 on. From there, it just gets worse. (Not to mention the scans...)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    For starters, look at the inadequate tripod they put the 8x10 on. From there, it just gets worse. (Not to mention the scans...)

The tripod is one of the uncontrolled variables - but don't get too hung up on the 80 megapixel vs 70 megapixel issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The tripod is one of the uncontrolled variables - but don't get too hung up on the 80 megapixel vs 70 megapixel issue.
    Oh, I'm not. 70mp is a fair equivalent of a 2 1/4 x 2 1/4 negative, not an 8x10 negative. The whole thing was just pointless from the point of view of a valid comparison. Just an example of a severely biased review, in this case an advertising puff for the digital back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    for a long while there was one magazine published here in the states
    which caters to people who use large format cameras &c
    and every month or 2 months or whenever the magazine was published
    there were countless complaints of poor image reproduction.
    i think it was spread equally over both film capture and electronic capture ...

i don't think there is a conspiracy, just poor image reproduction and tight budgets.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin