Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 674

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Conspiricy Theory

Have you guys notice a lot of articles online, when it comes to comparing digital and analogue photographs, they purposely makes the analogue one looks very bad. Do you guys notice that too?
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    Have you guys notice a lot of articles online, when it comes to comparing digital and analogue photographs, they purposely makes the analogue one looks very bad. Do you guys notice that too?
    Not only online articles but also print articles and supposedly neutral test say inkjet vs analogue color print which aren't neutral at all.
    Articles, test etc are marketing tools nothing more.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Gosh, I thought when I saw digital and analog comparison photos here on APUG, the digital photos were always made to look bad.... ;-)

Seriously though, I REALLY doubt there is any conspiracy involved in either case.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Holgas don't help.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Gosh, I thought when I saw digital and analog comparison photos here on APUG, the digital photos were always made to look bad.... ;-)

Seriously though, I REALLY doubt there is any conspiracy involved in either case.
    Conspirancy it is not, they are only writing and saying what the money men tell them to say or write. No different than the comparisons in mag and articles between certain brands during the analogue era.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Conspirancy it is not, they are only writing and saying what the money men tell them to say or write. No different than the comparisons in mag and articles between certain brands during the analogue era.
    Having written for many photo publications during the past 19 years I can state I was NEVER told what to say or write!! I once asked what to do about products I didn't like, and was told "we have plenty of good products to write about, we don't need to waste time writing about bad products".

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Pixel View Post
    Having written for many photo publications during the past 19 years I can state I was NEVER told what to say or write!! I once asked what to do about products I didn't like, and was told "we have plenty of good products to write about, we don't need to waste time writing about bad products".
    I didn't like, and was told "we have plenty of good products to write about, we don't need to waste time writing about bad products.

So basically you only wrote about good products because you were told that you don't need to waste time writing about bad products.

Stupid question but how did you define a bad product and isn't the goal of a review or comparison to show a products shortcoming and which products are inferior or great

Dominik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it's conspiracy but a natural bias to "prove" one's own belief that one thing is better than another.

There are many good reasons to use digital: convenience, immediacy and ease of transmission through electronic media.
    There are just as many good reasons to use film: overall image quality, dynamic range and permanence.

When a person makes a comparison between any two things he should set a standard for comparison and judge his results based on those standards but, too many times, all people really want to do is to prove that their view is right and they will bias their tests in order to get the results they want to see.

Maybe it's an advertiser who is trying to make his product look better in order to generate sales. Maybe it's a consumer who has jumped on the digital bandwagon and wants to convince himself that he has made a good purchase.

In either case, I don't think most people cheat on purpose. I think it's more likely that people just want to bolster their own self-image.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    First I want to apologize to prof_pixel if my post has come across a little harsh but the post I've quoted made little sense to me.

Second I believe Worker 11811 has hit the nail on the head for 95% but I also believe that at least 5% are bought reviews.

Dominik

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    Stupid question but how did you define a bad product and isn't the goal of a review or comparison to show a products shortcoming and which products are inferior or great
    A 'bad' product could have been defined by ME for many reasons; I was never told by anyone else a product was 'bad'. If I didn't like a product, I just never wrote about it. My point being, I was NEVER told by anyone else how to judge a product; there is absolutely NO conspiracy.

Keep in mind that reviews ARE VERY subjective - just because I liked or didn't like something is no guarantee that you will like it or not.

There is no conspiracy.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin