Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,827   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ironically, there would probably be no legal issues if the wife posed wearing only an army issued firearm .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As the wife of an Army Colonel recently back from there - BAD IDEA. I asked him to be sure and he said no nude photos are allowed in Afghanistan. Period. He said he couldn't count the times guys got written up for it and it was a bad idea. They never stay just between husband and wife either.
    nothing will clearly identify the branch
    I can almost guarantee that a member of the military can identify the print of the camo and say exactly which branch wore them. What they're currently wearing in Afghanistan right now is called multicam and it closely resembles the camo of the old BDUs. Not similar at all to the much hated ACUs with the digital pattern with no black.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    As the wife of an Army Colonel recently back from there - BAD IDEA. I asked him to be sure and he said no nude photos are allowed in Afghanistan. Period. He said he couldn't count the times guys got written up for it and it was a bad idea. They never stay just between husband and wife either.
    Thanks for verifying the issue, that was my understanding.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is my understanding that anything that is payed for with taxpayer money is public domain provided you don't pretend to represent the agency in question, that you give credit where credit is due and you do not use that image in a way that defames the agency in question.

In other words, you can use a picture of the space shuttle or a picture of Neil Armstron standing on the moon but you have to credit NASA and you can't do anything that defames NASA or Neil Armstrong.

So, in line with my understanding, I would say Army uniforms are fair game provided you don't pretend you or your model/subject are actually in the army.

As to the other issues. Let me tell you this:

A guy was sitting in a bar and a shady character walks up to him and asks, "Hey, buddy, do you have any naked pictures of your wife?"
    The guy says, "No! Of course not!"
    The hustler answers, "Do you want to buy some?"

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post

I can almost guarantee that a member of the military can identify the print of the camo and say exactly which branch wore them. What they're currently wearing in Afghanistan right now is called multicam and it closely resembles the camo of the old BDUs. Not similar at all to the much hated ACUs with the digital pattern with no black.
    Speaking as Marine veteran, although not as an exhalted rank as Bethe's husband, I agree entirely with her view on this matter especially since the soldier in question is serving in a Muslim country where many women don't even show their face, I served in Iraq many years ago and know how offensive this would be to the people in Afghanistan if the pictures leaked out, and embarresing for the U.S Government and military who are trying to "win hearts and minds" in the country.
    However innocuous this soldiers wife intentions are I strongly suggest she doesn't go ahead with this idea because it's ill advised and could bring down a shower of s**t on her husbands head that could seriously effect his military career that I doubt he would thank her for.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 09-29-2012 at 08:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    DOD provides extensive training to our deployed troops (as do the othr allie, I assume) on what constiutes prohibited items . While the warnings are very valid because they are a serious issue, taking that one step back and suggesting the photos are problematic is a leap of logic I grapple with. Why not ban girlie magazines and all booze in general -- they can be smuggled as contraband too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Nobody will see the photos except for the three of us.
    Not likely!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For all the reasons listed above including having nude photographs in a Muslim country which has some residents with strong options in these matters, I would strongly advise that the concept, which in a small group would be amusing but potentially could turn in a bad way if the group got larger, should not be undertaken.

That said, for ultimate vetting of this concept by a highly qualified self appointed expert in these matters please sent the photographs to me with a self addressed return envelope with return postage for my not so humble opinion. I promise not to show the photographs to more than a few hundred self proclaimed experts in this matter for no extra charge.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Nobody will see the photos except for the three of us.....
    wishful thinking at best.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    wishful thinking at best.
    I know her husband and is a higher ranking officer and I can say with 100% certainty that whatever photos she sends will only be seen by him.

And a little off the subject.... I've been deployed 4 times to Iraq. I can't count the number of times we've had muslim men come up to us begging for a copy of Maxim, FHM, playboy or anything that showed skin. When we gave it to them they smiled and were genuinely happy and excited. That being said we were always "warned" about possible dangers by random notes passed to our interpreter from these people.

We are going to go ahead and shoot this week.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin