Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,063   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Naming a Photographic Company or Product

I understand that the name KODAK was a word that originally meant nothing, but was formulated by George Eastman one day, when playing an anagram game with his mother. He thought the letters were strong and decisive. A brilliant bit of marketing for its time, but wondered if others could come up with an imaginary name for a photographic product or service?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm not very imaginative so I'm out... but the use of yellow by Kodak violates some "old and well-established rule of marketting" that belives that yellow is a very ineffective color to use.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I'm not very imaginative so I'm out... but the use of yellow by Kodak violates some "old and well-established rule of marketting" that belives that yellow is a very ineffective color to use.
    Tell that to Vincent Van Gogh.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ya, color theory is an interesting thing. It works "both ways" it seems. Both research and practice are confusing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would make it black and white and call it ilford. O yea, somebody already did that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem I see is that neologisms are the norm, today, rather than the exception.

Back in Eastman's day, newfangled, made-up words were not so common. Even the invented words that were used made some kind of sense. "Dagurerrotype," for instance. "Photograph," even.

Nowadays, we have names like "Kleenex" and "Band-Aid" that are so commonly used that we use them as household words. Names like "Nutri-Sweet" or "Truvia" just blend into the background.

Even acronyms ("scuba" = "self-contained underwater breathing apparatus") or initialisms ("ATM" = "Automatic Teller Machine") can be so common as to be meaningless.

It's not like the old days when a good strong name could make a company. Today, everybody's doing it. In fact, I'd say that it's now the other way around. The reputation of the company can redefine the word. (e.g. "Google" which should be "googol.")

I think the best bet would be to use a name as part of the company brand like "Jones Photographic Company."
    Last edited by Worker 11811; 09-30-2012 at 07:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since the trend with film companies is a four letter, phonetic nonsense name - even Lomo - children usually have the best minds for this. What about PLOP? Nobody forgets a good plop.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    The reputation of the company can redefine the word. (e.g. "Google" which should be "googol.")
    I agree "Googol" is much better.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the argument there would be that the 'le' gives it more credibility in the English language. It sounds more like a common word that way.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    OK, here is mine for a new camera - The ZEBOX.

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin