Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,480   Online: 1075

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    This week I am re printing portfolio image to be sent west.
    I finally figured out how to nail it at least for now. I have been using a time temp method, for my solarizations
    and glossy paper. then toning and not using blue.

Today I am pulling the print in the second developer when I feel its right a bit of lith experience helps here, using a dead matte paper, and horrors of horrors, I have figured out how to apply the blue over the sepia.
    Some day I hope to be in your shoes, Bob. Not literally, of course, since I believe my size foot would make it uncomfortable... But I admire your drive and ability.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am going to stick with it for a bit more, it has a lot of potential and even at 20x24 it seems like things only just start opening up. If anything, I might punt the 4x5 holder part and just do 6x12 backs which have been dustless thus far and I love the aspect ratio...

Even though we are occasionally taken aback by the sight of a beautiful woman, we are best paired with one for the rest of our lives...:-)
    My ideal woman is the Hasselblad, but I confess to having a mistress in the 35mm cameras. I'm equally faithful to both, for different reasons...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    My ideal woman is the Hasselblad, but I confess to having a mistress in the 35mm cameras. I'm equally faithful to both, for different reasons...
    Thomas, my ideal woman is a deaf and dumb nymphomaniac brunette who lives over a pub.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some day I hope to be in your shoes, Bob. Not literally, of course, since I believe my size foot would make it uncomfortable... But I admire your drive and ability.
    In reference to the balance between technique (including the what if thing) and creative output, a big part of the problem in my case is a sheer lack of time. Since photography is not my day job, and even within the list of hobbies it comes after music for me, it is often quite hard to delve into some technical rat hole and still keep up the art. So I have to accept a lower level of output and a little less excitement if I want to be at the top of the game technically. That's the balance I had to strike. Given how all-consuming the arts are in terms of time, experimentation, practice and study, if you can't spend all day every day doing it, something has to give. Either you focus on the doing, accept that you might not master every conceivable technique, and enjoy yourself, or you spend a little more time on technical stuff and accept that you might not churn out tons of work. For my type of personality, with obsessive perfectionist tendencies, the latter is the only way to go. Most other people would probably prefer to accept a little less technical quality and do more.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am blessed with a loving wife who also is a photographer/printer who accepts a 7 day a week scheduale year round. Together we work on projects that are appropriate for two people, we are scanning her archives and making silver film to do multiple alt prints, She scans , cleans the files, I PS and make the film , and then she coats and prints the images.
    We are also lucky to have a client base that has been working with me for 10 years or more on long term projects which allows variety in the style/process so its not all about my personal work and solarization, but a mixture of work that I am now very familiar with.
    Next on the agenda is to hand process colour film, solarize half way through and with the methods that Laura and I are working with make tri colour carbons by hand. This allows for a archival colour process that we believe is missing in the commercial gallery world.
    Michael you are lucky to have a varied list of hobbies, music for me is only a listening pleasure, but my darkroom is macked out with speakers and I keep collecting CD's to feed the printing mood.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's fortunate for you to have this setup, Bob, and that your wife is also into it is really fantastic, but something tells me you worked hard to be where you are today, and that luck is just one small factor in your achievement.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well , I had a grade nine education, then worked in high lead logging to understand what real work was about, I got lucky that Fanshawe College accepted me as a mature student, Hard work is important, and a love for photography cannot be overstated.
    Sometimes I envy those here who are very well educated with many interests, but then who can say that the darkroom is a place where most of ones time is spent, and there are actually real people willing to pay you to go into it.
    I watch all your posts and its obvious to me that you have the love for photography.

It's fortunate for you to have this setup, Bob, and that your wife is also into it is really fantastic, but something tells me you worked hard to be where you are today, and that luck is just one small factor in your achievement.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin