Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,614   Online: 958

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fine Art Status

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have posted before that my gallery owner friend says that putting the word fine in front of art allows her to charge an extra 40%

Steve.
    That's really funny. So, if I go at it without an agent, I can forgo the word fine and break even.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Why paint oneself in a corner with a definition and argue ad infinitum? Just make GOOD ART and market yourself properly to get your work out there. As they say in my home country..."Se son rose, fioriranno"...literally translated: "If they are roses, they will flower".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Just make GOOD ART...
    Indeed. I like that very much, and it's a mantra well worth repeating.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Last time I walked into a "Fine Art" photography gallery it was on Maui, and the nomenclature in discussion was inextricably linked to total suckers with lots of money to waste climbing off cruise ships and getting softshoed into some frightfully overpriced amateurish abomination that would look appropriate hanging next to their other half on an art collection, namely, their black velvet Elvis rug.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Definitely

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Indeed. I like that very much, and it's a mantra well worth repeating.
    But also, don't expect praise and make good art because it pleases yourself.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I once overheard a woman in a private art gallery in conversation with her friend say “but darling, they’re all so affordable”.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    But also, don't expect praise and make good art because it pleases yourself.
    Absolutely. For me at least, and many that I know.
    I think that may be different for some though, if there is some larger purpose or plan. I'm thinking of an artist painting a fresco in a cathedral, for example. Other influences are there, for sure.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Well Tom, my aunt did do frescos in catherals, and even designed a cathedral once. Just about everything she did is now on the Nat'l Historic Register. She also had four phD's, one of them in
    art history. But you should have heard her poking fun at all the pretension and cornball artsy vocabulary that was rife even back then. We got along.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    Well Tom, my aunt did do frescos in catherals, and even designed a cathedral once. Just about everything she did is now on the Nat'l Historic Register. She also had four phD's, one of them in
    art history. But you should have heard her poking fun at all the pretension and cornball artsy vocabulary that was rife even back then. We got along.
    What does that say about pleasing oneself versus somebody else, though? Did she do the frescos based on a discussion with those who commissioned her to do them? Or were they created by her, freely creating to please herself?
    Last edited by Thomas Bertilsson; 10-19-2012 at 02:19 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Horrible grammar.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That's a long topic, Tom. Basically, some of both. Lots of the classic murals were done under WPA auspices, so had to be something of public interest. At the same time artists' were rebelling, which
    at that point in history amounted to Social Realism, which was abhorred by many as a Commie plot, but backed by FDR, and now considered part of our mainstream natl heritage, except for a few Tea
    Party crackpots who actually want them demolished. Her personal work ranged much wider in subject
    and media choice, and really cannot be commercially valued because it's all locked up in major museum or private collection, and never comes up for sale. But things haven't changed much. I've
    had directors of major museum sitting at my dinner table cracking jokes about all the stupid artspeak
    going around, and all the idiotic things they themselves do just to pique public interest and sell
    museum tickets.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin