Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,980   Online: 1057

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Fine Art Status

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    Drew, you need to come on by Santa Fe and read some of the artist bios and info here. Good stuff after a few beers.
    Heck, I need to come down there and hang out in my super camper, bring my 16" telescope, some cameras and film and just get out of town for a few days...maybe I can start my new portrait project about drunken girl's night out called "Benders Full of Women"...:-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Photography will not even exist in the year 2112 as it is already turning into more of a language right now rather than something to creatively aspire to for example someone can send me a text asking how I am doing and I can take a self portrait of a smile or a frown and text it back to them I am not even typing right now but speaking into my iPhone and it is doing the typing for me
    Well, that explains the lack of punctuation.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Heck, I need to come down there and hang out in my super camper, bring my 16" telescope, some cameras and film and just get out of town for a few days...maybe I can start my new portrait project about drunken girl's night out called "Benders Full of Women"...:-)
    Do it. I'll buy you a beer or two and if you'd like, we could maybe show you some of the new stuff we're working on at B+S.
    K.S. Klain

Quote Originally Posted by DREW WILEY View Post
    "Art" or worse, "Fine Art" has long been a bullshit term that can be made to mean anything, and is
    largely related to the "art of the bluff". The best thing that could ever happen to photography is if
    the term "art" didn't even exist - and I'm stating that as somone whose own work is now almost
    exlusively sold within that very category. For all those wannabee "artistes" out there... just put you work on the wall and shut up. I don't want to read anymore idiotic mission statements or fluff-headed New York artspeak.

We all know that this is true.

But we also have be aware that there is artistic pursuit and then there is marketing.

And to successfully achieve one, we often have to aggressively be involved in the other.

My take on the term "fine art" is that it's merely a marketing term and in that vein, I use it.

In my corner of the field there are often great marketers (bullshitters) that are mediocre photographers, and excellent photographers who are mediocre marketers.

And very often the better marketers make the most money by far and in fact many very good photographers who don't market themselves well, go out of business.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    True, Blansky. Up in your part of the world some software exec decides to retire, so buys a botique winery or orchard and decides to be an art collector. So now he's got a lot of money to waste on things he couldn't afford way back when, so he buys a bunch of idiotic neo-Pop Art, like the stuff that was in vougue in the 60's or 70's when he took a college art class, and rounds this out the mix with a few vintage photographs from long-dead famous guys. ... which all informs me he doesn't have a clue what he's looking at, and is letting outside interests dictate his taste, rather than his own eyes. Conspicuous consumption, keeping up with the Jonses'. And now you've got a whole generation who can even attend some art school full time and seemingly have never even witnessed
    what a good print looks like. All they know visually is how things look on an idiotic computer monitor.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I suppose fine art photography is so inextricably linked with fashion, marketing, conceptualism and fame, that it is sometimes difficult for people to see the wood from the trees.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    My take on the term "fine art" is that it's merely a marketing term
    I have posted before that my gallery owner friend says that putting the word fine in front of art allows her to charge an extra 40%

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Man, if I ever feel the need to make sour wine, I will know exactly where to come for the grapes...

Some serious "Baditude" going on here....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, however, I know of at least one "cell phone photographer" who was given a show at a major gallery. The "pigs" may be winning

DanG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Exactly, nor do most people care about how hard you worked to get a photograph, how far you hiked or how much equipment you carried or how frozen your butt was at the end of the day.

Just saying.

DanG

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin