Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,617   Online: 1017

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    t -

i hope you stood on a high chair and not only photographed the happy family,
    but all their friends snapping photographs. even if you didn't, it sounds like you did a great job

j
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I'm not surprised she said YES, people don't stage all this to say NO. (We don't have "proposing" as an event with a photographer in this country, but no doubt we'll have it as soon as the voice reaches here that in America they have).
    It must be a localized custom... I've never heard of "proposing as an event" before... except those few who do it by hiring a plane to skywrite, or by having the proposal posted on the Jumbotron at a baseball game. Most people I know in America are more reserved than that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    p.s. I'm glad she said "yes". An old friend of mine proposed to his girlfriend at his families Christmas celebration. Her response was to pull him aside so they could "have a private chat". He was scarred for many years... ifnot for the rest of his life.

The dynamic that the OP is pointing out is the same only different than what happened before digital and camera phones. I had stupid people stand in front and try to screw up my wedding photographs with their Instamatics back in the 70s and 80s. The difference was they had no outlet for their snapshots. Almost nobody wanted them. I used to sell prints to family and friends from the wedding coverage.

Now with social media, those cameraphone pictures do have an outlet and a purpose. They are instantly sent to all the couples friends, posted on sites and enjoyed by dozens of people.

To just dismiss this as static is missing the point. Although the professional may sell a couple of pictures to the family of the couple, the amateurs, have dispersed the news and stolen the show. Their "candid" pictures may be even far more engaging and fun than the pictures done by the pro.

The world has shifted, the landscape has changed and it's difficult to see where professional photography fits into all this.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm just glad I don't need to take pictures for money any more.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    The world has shifted, the landscape has changed and it's difficult to see where professional photography fits into all this.
    Maybe it is time to go back to fewer professionally-shot formals than the full-coverage, press-photographer approach... and let "them" fight it out amonst themselves until they self-destruct. I always marvel at my great-Aunt's wedding photo. There was one or two of her in her wedding gown... that was all. It is a well-light B&W studio shot and appears to have been shot with a large-format camera; it is still gorgeous after all of these years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As to how this whole thing transpired.... obviously, this was not a spontaneous proposal. A lot of planning went into this "moment". Without going into a lot of details, I'll just say this family is quite unique in a good way. He wanted his family and hers to be part of this milestone in his life. His girlfriend was the only one who didn't know exactly what was going to happen. The exact moment was a private one. We, the photographers, were hiding in open. We were careful as to not to ruin the moment. It worked as she didn't even realize we were there until he told her... oh, by the way.... It was obvious that she didn't mind.

No, it's not a localized custom. It's just a unique family doing things in their own way.
    We did have a contingency plan just in case she didn't say yes....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    John,

I can't show you the photograph as this is a personal image. But I did use people as a compositional frame and it worked. There's more than one way to.... (you know the rest)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get asked to do these things occasionally too, but basically promise nothing, for the very reason you stated.

It does bring back an interesting memory, though, of a friend of mine who got married in September 2009, I think just before 'everybody' had a way to post their snaps all over the internet within minutes. They had hired pro photographers to shoot the wedding. I remember two people moving around with two DSLRs each, snapping away, often in very rapid sequence of some compositions.
    I brought a Mamiya 645 with a 300mm lens on it and Delta 3200 film. I shot 30 frames while the pros shot (i'm not joking) 3,600 frames. I had a nice 11x14 print ready and framed for the couple next day, while the wedding photographers took weeks to have anything to present.

So, whenever I get asked to 'attend with a camera' I tell them I charge nothing, and I will accept no direction. Then I process the film as soon as I get home, dry it, and slap it on the scanner. I pick a few good frames, and make decent web size scans of them, and email to those who asked me. And then I make a print or two. By moving quickly (for film) I can keep their interest alive, and have a print in their hands very rapidly. I know what size I'm going to print so I have pre-cut window-mats ready to use, and usually a frame too if they're willing to reimburse me for it. It works well, and usually people keep my print on the wall and at least walk past it every day. I do confess I take some satisfaction in that.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thomas,

I do pretty much the same way you do. I warn them ahead of time, the worst possible scenario is no photographs. I also accept no payment although I do accept modest token of appreciation if offered, but not cash. This is my hobby. I don't want money involved in it.

I typically decline to attend wedding with full compliment of my cameras unless the hired photographer explicitly consents to it. If I do it, I want to do it right and to do that I need complete freedom which may interfere with a hired gun. I really don't like to do things I don't want anyone else to do to me. Like you, I may take simple stuff and take limited numbers. If I can get some worthwhile image, great, if not, I was never there to take a photograph in the first place.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin