Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,981   Online: 1075

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    There are a lot of wannabes in photography.
    There are alos a lot of very proficient amateur photographers. I'm sure you would agree with that. Maybe part of the problem is that POLITENESS seems to have become a bit lost and selfishness seems to prevail amongst too many people.

I'd bet that most studio portrait professional photographers got their start shooting weddings. I'd bet 25 years ago maybe 95%. Now with the proliferation of "moms with cameras" who started shooting kids, that the number has dropped to maybe 60-70%.

So back then if you wanted to be a professional photographer you started as an amateur shooting weddings. Hard work and a lot of cash flow. Taught you how to think and work fast and immersed you into photography in a real way.

Then hopefully you started taking some classes/seminars/workshops to learn your craft. Most did.

Some didn't.

Remember I'm talking about my world. Not people who went to school and came out as a commercial photographers/product photographers or those who started at newspapers or started as fine art or pictorial photographers.

At wedding photographer international WPPI last convention there were 16,000 attendees.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't imagine trying to make a living with a camera. That would just take all the fun out of it. Good on you who can.
    “You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death that we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.” - John Galt

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=blansky;1406728]I'd bet that most studio portrait professional photographers got their start shooting weddings. I'd bet 25 years ago maybe 95%. Now with the proliferation of "moms with cameras" who started shooting kids, that the number has dropped to maybe 60-70%.

So back then if you wanted to be a professional photographer you started as an amateur shooting weddings. Hard work and a lot of cash flow. Taught you how to think and work fast and immersed you into photography in a real way.

Then hopefully you started taking some classes/seminars/workshops to learn your craft. Most did.

Some didn't.

I agree that most commercial product photographers went to school but I really doubt that very many of them started as wedding photographers. I think probably most of them did, as I did, made it a career decision not long out of high school. Talking it over with the parents trying to decide what college to go to and what to go for. I don't believe there are or were a significant number of school age kids doing wedding photography... maybe photographing for the school year book. If you poll a lot of commercial photographers most of them will tell you that they wouldn't do a wedding at gun point. The idea is that it is too much stress and too much craziness and not near enough money. Not to mention the post photography work. A commercial photographer likes to shoot and deliver the end result and move on. Then get irate if the image is reused without permission. What you see more is the wedding portrait photographer wishing he could land a commercial job or two.

[QUOTE=dpurdy;1406789]
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    I'd bet that most studio portrait professional photographers got their start shooting weddings. I'd bet 25 years ago maybe 95%. Now with the proliferation of "moms with cameras" who started shooting kids, that the number has dropped to maybe 60-70%.

Some didn't.

I agree that most commercial product photographers went to school but I really doubt that very many of them started as wedding photographers. I think probably most of them did, as I did, made it a career decision not long out of high school. Talking it over with the parents trying to decide what college to go to and what to go for. I don't believe there are or were a significant number of school age kids doing wedding photography... maybe photographing for the school year book. If you poll a lot of commercial photographers most of them will tell you that they wouldn't do a wedding at gun point. The idea is that it is too much stress and too much craziness and not near enough money. Not to mention the post photography work. A commercial photographer likes to shoot and deliver the end result and move on. Then get irate if the image is reused without permission. What you see more is the wedding portrait photographer wishing he could land a commercial job or two.
    I think you misread what I said. Or I said it wrong.

My type, studio portrait types started in weddings. The type that went to photography schools like Brooks and came out as a commercial photographer DIDN"T do weddings and often got jobs working for commercial photographers.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I can't imagine trying to make a living with a camera. That would just take all the fun out of it. Good on you who can.

My thoughts exactly. I don't want money involved in my hobby. As someone who turned every one of my past hobbies into professions (and ended up losing hobbies), I am not going to do that with photography.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    And I would not enjoy it *nearly* as much if I could not do it as a living and had to do something else to pay the bills. In doing it this way, I have a lot more time than most to engage in it in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Each to his own I suppose.... To me, enjoyment of hobby centers around being able to do something to my hearts content just because I want to do it. I don't need to satisfy anyone else, such as clients or an employer. What I do doesn't have to make sense financially or meet someone else's deadline, either.

I enjoy what I do for living but in a whole different context from a hobby. I'm glad you found your happy place though.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    Each to his own I suppose.... To me, enjoyment of hobby centers around being able to do something to my hearts content just because I want to do it. I don't need to satisfy anyone else, such as clients or an employer. What I do doesn't have to make sense financially or meet someone else's deadline, either.

I enjoy what I do for living but in a whole different context from a hobby. I'm glad you found your happy place though.
    Exactly. And hobby photographers should not be pretending to be pros.
    \

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was just browsing Amazon.... (the online store)

Looking at lenses and reading some of user reviews, I noticed people throw around being a wedding photographer like it's some kind of a badge or a status. I don't believe some of them are being truthful because what they were saying didn't make much sense. (yeah, I did 95 weddings so far this year... REALLY?) I guess there are lots of wannabes and pretenders in this field....

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin