Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,984   Online: 1096

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Nasty remarks like that are not necessary and I endorse Blansky’s response. However, criticism should be constructive and not knock the person’s confidence. It is the easiest thing in the world to pick up a photograph and criticize it. It is another thing entirely too actually take that photograph, print it and present it. This X Factor mentality that some members of the public seem to have, by wanting to be judged by so called experts can be detrimental to their creative development.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Real men don't do—or more importantly, need—Facebook.

My life is quite complete, thank you, without the constant need for validation by the masses of every breath I take. Nor do I wish to hear, in breathless detail, all about everyone else's breathing. While they might like to think so, I do not hang on their every thought and deed. Nor will I allow them to do so with mine.

If you are being true to yourself, through your art or anything else, why would you care in the slightest what anyone who needs to be on Facebook thinks about you, or it? Life is far too short for those kinds of unaddressable insecurities.

Shrug it off. Dump Facebook. Then don't repeat the mistake.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Real men don't do—or more importantly, need—Facebook.

My life is quite complete, thank you, without the constant need for validation by the masses of every breath I take. Nor do I wish to hear, in breathless detail, all about everyone else's breathing. While they might like to think so, I do not hang on their every thought and deed. Nor will I allow them to do so with mine.

If you are being true to yourself, through your art or anything else, why would you care in the slightest what anyone who needs to be on Facebook thinks about you, or it? Life is far too short for those kinds of unaddressable insecurities.

Shrug it off. Dump Facebook. Then don't repeat the mistake.

Ken
    +1

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Haters gonna hate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anybody else had nasty remarks about pictures you've presented? Particularly images you're proud of. Do you take it as a hard lesson, allowing it to influence the kind of pictures you make or simply shrug it off?
    I haven't really had nasty remarks, but my mom looked at a bunch of my photos (mostly hand colored flowers and landscapes) and said, "I guess I just really don't know what you're going for." She also commented once that she thought I was more interested in the process of photography than the composition of the shots. I think criticism is taken more harshly when it comes from people from whom you expect nice things. When I post here, I expect whatever others see - I'm not looking for just reinforcement. From a family member or close friend, I sorta expect more niceties.
    In your case, your friend probably thought he was being funny and had the shield of the computer to protect him from your feelings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +2 on Ken's idea. Dump farcebook. It's a huge useless time-suck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Everybody cries a little on the inside. Everybody has an ego and everybody has feelings.

But life's a journey.

"acknowledge and move on dude..." " a sadder but wiser man".

And if you see that asshole that done you wrong on a dark street one night, remember to fuck him up.

In hockey we call that "taking a number". As you're laying in the corner and the guy that creamed you skates away, you get his number. It may take a few minutes, a few games, a few seasons or a few years but one of these days that son of a bitch is gonna pay.
    Ha. I've done that. A few times. Vindication feels good after having your nerve endings violated.

But I also agree that if one puts work out in a public space, be prepared for anything in response.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Ouch! I believe Weston had a hard time when showing his prints to Stieglitz. Thank God he didn't drop the camera. If it's any consolation, I think Siskind is the poor man's Callahan.

we all take hard knocks it helps us move forward and stay grounded.

not sure about siskind and callahan ... they were humming different tunes ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Ouch! I believe Weston had a hard time when showing his prints to Stieglitz. Thank God he didn't drop the camera. If it's any consolation, I think Siskind is the poor man's Callahan.
    I have read that when Berenice Abbott showed Stieglitz some pictures by Atget he was not impressed.

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    +2 on Ken's idea. Dump farcebook. It's a huge useless time-suck.
    Agreed! Never used it, never will. I find it the equivalent of a cultural plague.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin