Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,047   Posts: 1,560,997   Online: 1113

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    To let other people see it. The same as any other internet presence.

Steve.
    As far as Facebook is concerned, (but not this forum of the cogniscenti)it brings to mind that old proverb about " casting pearls before swine" ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A few years ago, I taught basic photography (yes all the people wanted to use digital compacts, but I tried to teach them the basics with no bias to digital).
    Now these were people that had NEVER held a camera in their lives. Strange though it may seem there are people like that around!.
    When we had photo session, the one thing I would not do is to put a photo down. Suggest alternatives on how to take the picture, but not as a 'this would make it better, more a case of 'might be worth trying x and seeing if you like the result.
    We had one lady that just could not hold the camera still no matter what!
    BUT her photos looked just like 'Monnet's' painting! and in there own way were quite good.
    There are lots of paintings that I love and even more that are not for me. But the next person might like the ones I hate.
    Face Book to me is as said, a way to advertise for firms and a way to keep in touch with my younger family.
    I have the luxury of doing photography for my pleasure and not as a living.
    So 'balls to everyone else' If I like it then I don't care what other people think!!
    BUT if I was being paid for it then who ever pays has to like it.
    Alan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If you upload a picture to Facebook, you have complete control over who can see it.

You can select: yourself, specific friends, all of your friends, friends and friends of friends or everyone on the planet.

This is a lot more control than you have putting pictures on a personal website.

e.g. I have one picture in a Facebook gallery which can only be seen by one person (other than me) and that is the subject of the photograph.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	58629

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    ...(unless you are friends with a bunch of other like minded photographer on facebook.)...
    You have an idea there. If you're at all computer literate with the open source scene there are plenty of programs that will let you run your own forum on your own computer. As long as you don't blow out your bandwidth caps you and your friends can have your very own APUG (well, a meek representation of it anyway). You gain the ability to critique each other's work and communicate new ideas. All you lose is the hot vixens taking pictures of themselves in the bathroom mirror with their phones. (Why are they always using the mirror? You'd think vixens who are hot have some friends who can take their pictures for them. A funny thing, this Facebook "community".)
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

If you upload a picture to Facebook, you have complete control over who can see it.

You can select: yourself, specific friends, all of your friends, friends and friends of friends or everyone on the planet.

This is a lot more control than you have putting pictures on a personal website.

e.g. I have one picture in a Facebook gallery which can only be seen by one person (other than me) and that is the subject of the photograph.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fb.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	58629

Steve.
    Yes but can't THEY send it on? That one or two friends likes it so much (or doesn't) that they send it to a friend etc etc.....
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Yes but can't THEY send it on?
    That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I think that if I post a picture and only allow e.g. two of my friends to see it then it shouldn't be possible for anyone else they send a link to, to actually see it. I would hope that they would get a message saying that they are not authorised to view it.

Not sure what actually happens though. I might try it out.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Facebook picture sabotage...

That's a good question and I don't know the answer. I think that if I post a picture and only allow e.g. two of my friends to see it then it shouldn't be possible for anyone else they send a link to, to actually see it. I would hope that they would get a message saying that they are not authorised to view it.

Not sure what actually happens though. I might try it out.

Steve.
    Yes, you can control who sees "your" posting, but you cannot stop me from downloading the image and the reposting it. Edited or not.

Facebook is a social media site. And it lives up to, or down to as one may choose to characterize it, that reputation fully.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, obviously you can copy or save the picture and re-post it but but you can do that with any picture on the internet. I would like to know what happens if you share or post a link.

To that end I have just posted a picture on my page which only my son can see. I am going to see what happens if he tries to share it or sends a link to my daughter.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    In hockey we call that "taking a number". As you're laying in the corner and the guy that creamed you skates away, you get his number. It may take a few minutes, a few games, a few seasons or a few years but one of these days that son of a bitch is gonna pay.
    The question is, do you have the balls to sort it out yourself?
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I believe Flickr does have licensing rules that prevents others from passing on a photo. I was unable to post one of my own photos from Flickr into another forum until I figured out how to soften the licensing rules.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin