Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,424   Online: 797

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual World

We are rapidly becoming bombarded 18/7 with noise.

Constant visual stimulation overpowers our brains and the long term effect of this "noise" is yet to be seen.

Already we are diagnosing a lot of ADHD in children that may or may not be attributed to this but with the addictive nature of computers and the lack of exercise to "clear the mind" it has to have some effect on them.

I don't really see anti social behavior or lack of socialization in people but I think the bombardment of stimulation has to cause a lot of added stress.
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    That commercial is mostly responsible for me turning off my computer more, barely using facebook anymore, and dropping several other forums. APUG and photochimps remain, but not much else.
    I'd rather be out in the woods. And since tomorrow is a daycare day and it's supposed to be nice, I will be.
    Ugh. Facebook. We hates it, precious. *shudder*

I do have to admit that without Twitter and other online avenues I'd have very little money for any fun things like photography supplies. See, I dye yarn. You know, for knitting. Well, and crocheting, but I tried that once and ended up with some knots in expensive wool/cashmere blend yarn. Anyway, I sell online. Completely. I do it all by hand with one stupid little pot in my kitchen. Without the internet, there would be no customers. Or, well, there would definitely be many fewer customers.

Thanks to the internet I've been able to ditch cable TV, connect with people I'd never been able to talk to previously, buy various cameras of questionable value, find other knitters who aren't 80 and *do* know how to swear occasionally, learn lots of different things with both online tutorials and Youtube, find lots of interesting (and somewhat questionable) international entertainment (Agfa Style should be the next Gangnam Style cover), and suffer just a bit less from the isolation one feels as a stay-at-home-mom without a second car in a tiny town with no public transportation.

It has its ups and downs as everything does.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think there is a growing consciousness about the responsibility sites like Facebook will, one day, have to face. But the problem might be that the people who actually have the power to give such websites 'curfews' are addicted themselves. But then again, these are the kind of people who make a living from contradicting themselves. So not sure who can save us.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    We are rapidly becoming bombarded 18/7 with noise.

Constant visual stimulation overpowers our brains and the long term effect of this "noise" is yet to be seen.

Already we are diagnosing a lot of ADHD in children that may or may not be attributed to this but with the addictive nature of computers and the lack of exercise to "clear the mind" it has to have some effect on them.

I don't really see anti social behavior or lack of socialization in people but I think the bombardment of stimulation has to cause a lot of added stress.
    I'm not aware of any use of the Ludovico Technique.

Most ADHD is actually boys being boys. When I was at school there was lots of physical activity and rough-housing as well as competitive sports. Now, not so much. It's "too dangerous". We have a philosophy in our house that childhood isn't childhood without a few cuts and bruises and preferably a scar to boast about.

Now they seem to want to drug kids for being kids. That pent up energy goes somewhere.

The number of true ADHD cases is actually quite small. Some of the rest are mis-diagnosed cases of other developmental issues such as SPD. The bulk of the remainder are just boys being boys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lensman, I have a two-year-old boy who has been described as "all boy" since he was barely crawling. He currently has a fat lip from banging into daddy's desk. His dad had his first set of stitches at the age of two 'cause he ran into a corner of a wall at his grandmother's house. First stitches of many. I never had stitches as a kid, but certainly had many bruises. If anyone ever tries to tell me he's ADHD, they'll be getting a lecture. He's active - just like a boy should be, imo. I'm just hoping I can get him to use the right amount of technology but balance it well with physical activity.

Stephanie, if I was anywhere near Iowa, I'd pick you and the kids up to go somewhere fun - I'm also a SAHM, but we have too many cars (not all run). My mom knits, spins, weaves, and dyes - yup, she's 71 and doesn't swear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Should be in soap box forum, but can't find it. As many people today seem to live entirely in the virtual world, would it be useful for countries to agree to shut down the worldwide web for a day, so that people could reconnect (if only briefly) with reality? Easy to say, but impossible to do and perhaps such a pause in communication could be very dangerous.
    Shut it down for one month per year if you ask me.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Shut it down for one month per year if you ask me.
    That maybe too long, but if a non-virtual day was introduced into the calander year, would many people adopt it and would it be beneficial?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    35mm
    I think it would, if nothing else but to make it obvious to people that they do indeed spend too much time in front of a monitor, and not enough being active. You don't really know you're addicted until you can't have it, and the 24 hour deprival might just make some people think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Stephanie, if I was anywhere near Iowa, I'd pick you and the kids up to go somewhere fun - I'm also a SAHM, but we have too many cars (not all run). My mom knits, spins, weaves, and dyes - yup, she's 71 and doesn't swear.
    I want to get into weaving, but my husband says a loom won't fit in our house. He's probably right, though.

Also, my maternal grandmother says 'damn' and 'shit', but won't say anything else. It's really, really funny to see an 84 (almost) year old woman say that when she does something wrong. Heh. I love her, and I'm glad she's healthy because my life will be so empty when she's gone. One of the reasons I'm getting the big cameras set back up is because she's been in the hospital lately for a lot of various things and I want to get some really nice photos taken of her. She's the one in the picture in the gallery.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Images
    My cell died 2 weeks ago. It has been wonderful. Only drawback is how important it is. I have to get another this weekend. Too many of my customers only call it and it is my credit card machine.

Since you mention it I think I will take a net holiday.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin