Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,848   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual World

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Virtual World

Should be in soap box forum, but can't find it. As many people today seem to live entirely in the virtual world, would it be useful for countries to agree to shut down the worldwide web for a day, so that people could reconnect (if only briefly) with reality? Easy to say, but impossible to do and perhaps such a pause in communication could be very dangerous.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you do besides think of possible scenarios all day long?

It's an interesting thought experiment, I think, to remove something that is almost ingrained in today's minds. When I visit my grandparents' farm in Sweden I wonder for a few minutes what the rest of the world is up to, but after a while I just let go of the electronic world and enjoy sitting in their back yard, drinking coffee, and talking about memories and such, or even just being quiet together. They are part of a generation that will likely never own a mobile phone, a computer, or any other device that it connected to the internet, other than a landline telephone and an old TV set with antenna only. I admire their lifestyle, and wish I could do the same, actually.
    It's so easy now to keep in touch with friends from old days, and people far away, that every time I interact with them that it doesn't feel special anymore.
    But every time I pick up the phone and call my grandparents, there is a sense of joy of simply just talking to them on the phone, and there is something of real substance to talk about too, because it's usually weeks or maybe even a month or two between talks.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sort of offline when not at work. I don't actually own a computer. I have a laptop at work but never take it home. All my music is on CD or records. No itunes or i-anything. I'm not on Facebook or anything like that. My cell phone is a Blackberry I got at work in 2005 or 2006. At this point a battery charge lasts for a few hours of email and maybe 10 minutes of voice. I should really get a new one but I never get around to it.

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily proud of all this though. I'm just too lazy about computer/phone stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I get very frustrated by constantly being online. I work with computers, I carry a blackberry and am always online at home. This is one of the reasons I am becoming more interested in traditional photography as it is completely off-line.

I despair at the state of humanity constantly worshipping some digital rectangle.

I spend 4 hours a day on a train and I read a book, I leave the Kindle at home :-) It's time out for me. I have an addictive personality and I have to work very hard to take time out from being online. I am getting better at it. It gets me down how seductive it is and how gripped everyone is. Nobody, at least in my circles, can concentrate for longer than 30 seconds before unapologetically fingering away at some device.

I recently lost my phone and it was such a blessing. I was almost sad when someone found it and sent it back to me. At least I live in a country where someone would send your lost phone back to you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Being online is a drug. APUG is rather addictive as well. Every now and then I force myself not to go online for a few days.
    I do not own a mobile phone, never have and never want to. That is a freedom which is important for me. It is wonderful but one does get treated like an alien. Which can be fun as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that would be very dangerous, not only for the people who are plugged in
    but for businesses whose 1 day loss could be billions of dollars of losses.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    What do you do besides think of possible scenarios all day long?
    Thomas, I don’t think about these possibilities all day long, but merely seconds. To quote the late John Glasham: -A sensitive portrait, etched by Madame Duvon, shows him at work with his Psychotheric Ray Tube.

Says Glashan: “with this instrument I can grasp a single moment of thought and examine it at leisure for months – years, if necessary”.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna' have to skip this one...

This is my number one rant scenario. The inability of most people today to draw a meaningful distinction—or for that matter, to even recognize—the difference between virtual and real is nothing short of staggering. And it goes far beyond the differences between virtual images and real photographs. It influences every corner of everyday society. And not for the better.

Gotta' stop now before I go off the deep end. Again.

"There's no way that's a real puppy, that's too small to be a real puppy."

Duh...

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 10-23-2012 at 05:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I despair at the state of humanity constantly worshipping some digital rectangle.
    At first I read that as "digital rectum". At times, how apt.

Think I'll go offline and develop that roll of Tri-X that's on the dresser. Sauce for the goose and all...

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "There's no way that's a real puppy, that's too small to be a real puppy."
    That commercial is mostly responsible for me turning off my computer more, barely using facebook anymore, and dropping several other forums. APUG and photochimps remain, but not much else.
    I'd rather be out in the woods. And since tomorrow is a daycare day and it's supposed to be nice, I will be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin