Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,954   Posts: 1,586,006   Online: 757

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post

I was tempted to photograph/video a cop the other day. He was driving like a moron because he was yakking on a cell phone, showing pictures on his phone to his partner in the passenger seat... all the while making hand gestures that included every word in the Italian dictionary. I'm glad I resisted that temptation... but it probably would have been so good it would have gone viral on Utube.

Over here we do. http://youtu.be/rMphhd8QCwA

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    They also can cite copyright of architecture as they did with me once.
    They can but they would be wrong. A photograph of a building is not a copy of it. Even if it were, it would likely be the architect who owned the copyright, not the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroom317 View Post
    Copyright of the buildings and logos of the stores is something that I am not sure of either.
    You can photograph them as much as you like. It's only when you publish them that you might have a problem and most likely only then if you misrepresented them. Companies put their logos on show in public for a very good reason. So they can be seen. They are not going to worry about the logo appearing in someone's photograph unless it is in some way defamatory.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    In Canada, buildings can only be copyrighted for the purposes of reproduction - thus, I can take a picture of your building (and reprint it in books/online/magazines/etc.) but what I can't do is use the pictures to erect a duplicate of the building across the street. Buildings have no expectation of privacy and thus can be photographed as much as you want. As long as I am not trespassing, I can all of the pictures I want of any structure and if caught trespassing, it is the trespassing that is the issue, not the taking of the photos.

However, as it is a mall in Canada, they can refuse to permit photos but they have to clearly identify this when one enters the mall and they never have permission to make you delete/destroy them without a judge's order. Because - if it is illegal to take pictures, you are destroying evidence of a crime; if it is not illegal, they can't force you to comply just because they want to.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by h.v. View Post
    security cannot confiscate film, digital media, or camera equipment
    That is the problem. They can do whatever they want in USA, especially if they are stronger than you and have a club, or gun. Later, when you are beat up in jail it is your own responsibility to get out of jail and to sue them at your own expense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought I was reading something from India or France, but then observed it is Canada. Canada! Of all places.
    If it was a journalist from a local newspaper, would he/she have been treated the same? Or is it because the RCMP and guards perceived a teenager to be a nuisance worthy of taking down?
    In Australia the police and guards would have been given a hiding through the courts, only they use tasers here somewhat indiscriminately.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    In Australia the police and guards would have been given a hiding through the courts, only they use tasers here somewhat indiscriminately.
    Over here, plod are a little more selective...Blind Man Tazered

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    Over here, plod are a little more selective...Blind Man Tazered

That report is just terrible, absolutely terrible. The poor man probably didn't see it coming and that makes it all the more traumatic, as he said, like grabbing an electricity pylon. Just awful.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I doubt the kids story because his film and camera was never taken and also he has a hobby of following the police and photographing them.. Maybe the kid kept getting in their way so the police got pissed off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim17x View Post
    Maybe the kid kept getting in their way so the police got pissed off.
    Perhaps, but the police still have to operate within the law.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe they were afraid he was photographing for Al-Qaeda.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin