Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,307   Online: 1103

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

How To Describe Your Work?

In the “olden days” it wasn’t a problem you called it a silver gelatin print or toned silver gelatin print and every one knew what it was and that it was printed from a film negative. But these days there is a lot of digital / analogue hybrid work going on and a silver gelatin print (or any alt process print) can be produced from any number of and combination of processes. So how do you describe your work so as to inform the viewer that it has been created from a totally analogue process and differentiate it from work that has been produced on a computer and then just printed onto photo paper?

“Silver gelatin print derived from analogue negative” bit ambiguous and could still contain a digital stage.

“Silver gelatin print printed from film negative” film negative could have been produced digitally.

“Silver gelatin print produced from analogue negative”

Suggestions welcomed.
    I'm A photographer not an artist

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One way: "100% analog, shot on film and printed in a wet darkroom."
    Another: "No pixels were injured in the making of these photographs."

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hand made. All that other stuff you suggest is just blather to most viewers. Most work being viewed initially and primarily on the net, which obviously IS digital, I support my own work on my site with articles (and videos) describing my processes.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm going to say "Silver Gelatin Print" and leave it at that. Looking at Portfolios of Ansel Adams, there is a bit of technical information on the pages leading up to the shots. Those details are brief, meaningful.. and probably what you really are looking for in terms of being "fully descriptive"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But you can produce a silver gelatin print from a digital source. I think the OP wants to differentiate between the two.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Common people don't know what a silver gelatin print is, and they don't care either.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hi mr man

it really isn't the process that is important, but the final product anyhow ...
    i learned this years ago shopping my work around galleries
    i showed them single edition prints, that were made
    using a process i was calling "hybrid photography"
    non-traditional negatives, traditional silver prints ...
    i was sent from one gallery to the next
    because they didn't believe they were photographs
    but something else ...

eventually i learned that none of it matters ...

but if you must have labels
    silver print is fine ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Silver negative enlarged to silver gelatin print

Traditional enlarging from film negative
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would say all images originate on film, but would describe my galleries as colour and mixed media, or black & white and mixed media.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grainy View Post
    Common people don't know what a silver gelatin print is, and they don't care either.
    Grainy, I think you a re probably right. But surely, if we value our work, it is our responsibility to educate the “Common people” as to why a silver print is so much more special than a digital one. My work will often contain my blood, sweat and tears depending on how clumsy I have been in the darkroom, how hot it is in there or how much trouble I am having with a particular print :-) (come to think of it there may be an arts project in that). If we do not champion what is special about analogue photography and what makes it special it will no doubt disappear even faster than it appears to be doing at the moment.

Hi jnanian, if the process isn't important why were you having so much trouble convincing the galleries that the work you were producing was photography, If the process isn't important then anything from a photogram to an image produced entirely digitally, and anything in between, can be classed as photography.
    I'm A photographer not an artist

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin