Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,690   Posts: 1,548,840   Online: 994

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    The wind blew across a landscape that had seen the touch of industrial man's hand. Before me was what used to be a town. Once, people had paused here in their travels, and ranchers and farmers had bought and sold. People had been here. Had been. The wheels on the cars had stopped turning without fuel, and the neon signs on the buildings were dark without electricity to light them. Seventy five years of nothing had taken its toll; the entropy of time would not be denied. It was quiet here, just as quiet as the countryside. The wind blew, but very little creaked, because if something had been hung with care, it was now lying on the ground. The wind whistled its timeless tune through streets vacant of people.

One of the burros pulling my photography cart bobbed its head as I held its harness. "Yeah, Bluebell, I'm going." As I walked forward, the sound of the cart and the glass plates it carried bounced from building to building. I would be scrounging these buildings for more glass, cleaning it and cutting it to be used to make photographic pictures, like had first been done over 200 years before.
    That's A great narrative, don't stop now.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When Charles Dodgson told the initial storey of Alice in Wonderland to Alice Liddell and others as he rowed a boat along the river near Oxford, was that from a dream he had, or just his vivid imagination?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Is there a Tasmania devil? Or is it just a cartoon character? Has it ever featured in your dreams?
    There is one; it has an aura much larger than its small size. I don't think I remember having a dream about one, but I'm almost sure I have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking about this today while browsing through the Photography section in a book store.

The ultimate photographic nightmare? - being trapped in a room with Anne Geddes and William Wegman while they argued about what constitutes a "fine art photograph".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The ultimate photographic nightmare? - being trapped in a room with Anne Geddes and William Wegman while they argued about what constitutes a "fine art photograph".
    HA!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Had two dreams last night... One, I was out and about and came across an LF photographer in the middle of an intersection, he was shooting what at first seemed illogical but then I looked the direction he was pointing at a magnificent old brick building... We got to talking and he pulled out a freezer pack vacuum-sealed pouch containing two 50-sheet boxes of Panatomic-X he said he didn't need and offered to sell me for $80. I wrote him a check for it...

The next dream was even more poignant. I dreamed someone posted an 87 page PDF that transcribed and complained about every post made by everybody in a particular very long thread the OP had started. I won't name names because it was a dream, far as I know such a thread and such an OP does not exist, but I remember seeing particular name in one of the complaints, and although every complaint carried on in depth about the transgression I think all the complaint had to say was... "Blansky". After a while I started looking through every outlined complaint against me and trying to figure out if I should apologize or retract anything...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    ... I dreamed someone posted an 87 page PDF that transcribed and complained about every post made by everybody in a particular very long thread ...
    Oh, you've been spending too much time on the Internet! Time for the camera and the darkroom!

I never get any angst in my camera dreams. No problems, ever. I wonder if it's because I regard photography as my own Magical Mystery Tour, and every black and white photograph is filled with psychedelic colors from rainbows and crystals and dew drops on flowers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only had a few dreams that featured film photography (or parts thereof)
    Once I dreamed I stole a roll of kodak film (120 in a black wrapper) from a museum...

In another dream, I walked into a camera store, they had a sale on ALL there old paper...boxes and boxes of the stuff all in pinkish packaging, filled my entire car in this dream, and I paid almost nothing for it.

There was the one where I bought a "new" Ilford film "FP6 Velvet", but the box was black like the previous Ilford boxes, and the lettering was maroon. I shot this in black Leica M6 in Cape Town. Too bad when I woke I had neither the M6 or FP6 Velvet and didn't live in Cape Town

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you engage your conscious mind in photography a great deal, it's probably likely that your subconscious will want to unwind. Photography is mostly logic - left brain - let's be honest. I've met photographers in my dreams, under surreal circumstances, like going on workshops to different planets. Maybe one day there will be photography trips to the moon. I'd like to lead one of those.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    Photography is mostly logic - left brain - let's be honest.

That's an interesting statement.

I wonder if that is why I'm always having a mental battle over my images. My right brain wants to create, but my left brain wants to get technical and prevent the right brain from doing things because they are not within the technical "rules".

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin