Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,821   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ratty- I've seen you have several versions of this conversation already. Having this conversation is somewhat akin to asking, "would I love my child more if he/she had different color eyes/hair/skin"? Of course not! Your child is who he/she is, lumps, bumps, quirks, buck-teeth, and all. And you wouldn't love them any more or any less if they were different. You might not complain as much about the dentist's bills, but you'll still take them to the dentist every time they need it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    We all have doubts, fears, and worries, so what?

Hobbies are about fun, frivolity, and challenging our minds; not practicality.

Bought anything frivolous for the wife lately?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    We all have doubts, fears, and worries, so what?

Hobbies are about fun, frivolity, and challenging our minds; not practicality.

Bought anything frivolous for the wife lately?

Heh heh....no I havent. My wife hates when I buy stuff for her. She's terribly thrifty. How she tolerates my spending on photography I'll never know.
    ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Ratty- I've seen you have several versions of this conversation already. Having this conversation is somewhat akin to asking, "would I love my child more if he/she had different color eyes/hair/skin"? Of course not! Your child is who he/she is, lumps, bumps, quirks, buck-teeth, and all. And you wouldn't love them any more or any less if they were different. You might not complain as much about the dentist's bills, but you'll still take them to the dentist every time they need it.
    I'm not sure if I read you right. The take away lesson I get from your post is, digital is good enough, at least when it comes to family/precious moment shots.

Wrong?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    That's a good point. I spent a LOT of money on Canon ink back in the US when I printed my digital images. I totally forgot about that. I love a print and so print waaay more than most people. An image isnt real until I have it in my hand.

Sorry that I missed the Ethics and Philosophy forum. I never even saw that one before!!!

Hopefully a mod can move my thread.
    Done!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you want to encounter expense, try printing your own digital prints on a high quality digital inkjet printer.

It is also best not to price things out based on $/image, unless you are doing something high volume like school photos or catalogue shots.

Four rolls of 645 negatives or slides would generally give me lots to work with - in the day, that would be at least half of a wedding that I was shooting as the "official" professional photographer.

By the way, I think "Ethics and Philosophy" would be a good forum for this.

Oh, I could tell you plenty about expense. A 61cm tall (or wide) print is presently being prep'd from a Velvia tranny for $250.
    And there are 18 more images to go...

I agree with the last point that Ethics and Philosophy would be a better place. But here on APUG, cross-overs and muddles often occur. It's just a forum, and not the end of the world (which sounds like what New York — of all places, is looking at, God forbid...).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Done!
    The service here is exceptional
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    I'm not sure if I read you right. The take away lesson I get from your post is, digital is good enough, at least when it comes to family/precious moment shots.

Wrong?
    Taking the shot, regardless of medium, is most important.

Digital is not without its costs. When I switched to film I could pay for, as I remember, about 12,000 film shots a year for what I was paying for digital hardware and software. I don't shoot anywhere near 12,000 shots a year.

Use film, have fun, take pictures of the kids, give them to your wife.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Taking the shot, regardless of medium, is most important.

Digital is not without its costs. When I switched to film I could pay for, as I remember, about 12,000 film shots a year for what I was paying for digital hardware and software. I don't shoot anywhere near 12,000 shots a year.

Use film, have fun, take pictures of the kids, give them to your wife.

If I could switch to film exclusively, that would easily cover the costs that I pick up buying/processing film. The problem is, I just cant do that yet, or have not found a way. One of my prime shooting times is when it is dark, out on the street. I routinely use ISO3200 and f/2 or f/1.4 lenses in the digital world. My GA645 certainly does not have ISO3200, nor does it have an F2 lens. I can't shoot outside at night with this camera, without radically changing my habits.

So I often grab my digital gear if I know I'm going to be out late at night shooting. GAS in the digital world is difficult. And in the film too. GAS can be a big problem for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    Done!

Thank you!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin