Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,001   Online: 881

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I hope you find happiness regardless of the choice you make. If you can live without film so be it, you are lucky because I can’t. If I had to have my film developed and If I had no darkroom then yeah (or if I liked color photography a lot)…I guess I would be wondering too. But I got my bathroom darkroom setup for under 100$ used and I can to it all from film to print myself now…it make all the difference…

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Film can be cheap: you can buy 90 meters of Polypan for 30 euros, you get empty film cassettes for free in any film lab. You develop in rodinal 1+100: cost are less than 2 euro cents / frame.
    I don't want to say it is a best film, but cheap it is: more than 2000 pictures for about 30-40 euros.
    I second that.

I think there are two categories of photographers who should bring their films to a laboratory for development: the casual user who takes pictures of friends and relatives on the usual occasions, but hasn't got the photography "bug"; and the professional who doesn't have time to develop by himself.

The shades of grey in between, the photographer who really has a hobby, needs to develop his negatives by himself imperatively. It's not just the economic reasons - which are in themselves quite sufficient - but the fact that developing by yourself and seeing the "miracle" of the film coming out of the reel has a charm which really is half the pleasure of photography in itself.

The sooner you begin developing your film, the sooner you begin saving money, making your hobby more fulfilling because you don't have the constraint of saving the material (which can be important) and because you will find the pleasure of delivering the baby without external help.

Regarding scanning, it really takes no time at all. I scan my film "by the stripe". Once you learn how to set your scanner it really does the job by itself, you only have to change the stripe and push a button.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RattyMouse View Post
    $40 for one week's worth of images. That's a lot of money, but money that I have and can easily spend on this. But is it wise? That is a much harder question. I have 2 kids to put through college. Film is looking like an awfully big luxury now.
    Kodachrome in the 50's run through an Argus C3 while in the AF and then a $200 Canon Ftbn in the 70's was almost bankrupting.

The slides are priceless today when viewed with the old carousel, to me.

Too bad Kodachrome is gone. I refuse to view pix on digital cameras and the "detritus to be" other toys.

Peace. Regards.
    Kodachrome Rules:)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin