Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,252   Online: 1178

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Model; "what's Film?"

Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Sorry to say, many young people have little general knowledge, even after having gone through college. If it wasn't taught, they don't know it. I remember talking with a geology graduate and referred to the material on a slope as alluvium. He said "How do you know what alluvium is? Did you study it?" He was amazed that I regarded it as general knowledge.
    Honestly I had to look that one up, I still don't know how that relates to film, unless the metals deposited at the delta are used in photography somehow (is that why Ilford uses the word Delta?) I'm VERY ignorant in this reference, please enlighten me

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    plenty of people don't know, don't care don't remember and are out of the loop.
    she probably just saw a camera taking her photograph and didn't think or care much about what was in it.
    the world is FULL of people who are oblivious to their surroundings,
    and some end up leading countries.

it is obvious that she has better things to think about
    than what media is being used to make her photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stone,

I was relating it to the first sentence of the reply, with the part about college magnifying the point. It's not so much the not knowing about it before he studied it; it's that in his late 20's he was amazed that it could be a part of someone's general knowledge, without them being taught.

Alluvium is eroded material from one place, deposited by water in another place. I use the word pretty frequently to describe a landscape, as do others I know. Valleys fill with alluvium from the mountains that surround them. Just 35 miles east of me in the desert at the base of tall mountains are huge alluvial fans, where water flows down canyons, carrying sediment, which then spreads out at the bottom. So it's common among anyone who knows the countryside to know what it means.
    River deltas are composed of alluvium, but are not the only type of alluvial feature.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Alluvium is eroded material from one place, deposited by water in another place. I use the word pretty frequently to describe a landscape, as do others I know. Valleys fill with alluvium from the mountains that surround them. Just 35 miles east of me in the desert at the base of tall mountains are huge alluvial fans, where water flows down canyons, carrying sediment, which then spreads out at the bottom. So it's common among anyone who knows the countryside to know what it means.
    River deltas are composed of alluvium, but are not the only type of alluvial feature.
    Like an alluvial plain, right?
    An area made up of silt deposited by a river? ? ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    plenty of people don't know, don't care don't remember and are out of the loop.
    she probably just saw a camera taking her photograph and didn't think or care much about what was in it.
    the world is FULL of people who are oblivious to their surroundings,
    and some end up leading countries.

Typical Chris Matthews. Spreads a falsehood because he likes it. A lot of that around these days. I hate when so-called journalists pull this crap.

www.snopes.com/history/american/bushscan.asp

It's like the 'Al Gore says he created the internet' myth: I remember reading an article early on in the Clinton era in which he was promoting the coming "information superhighway".

www.snopes.com/quotes/internet.asp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't think Chris Matthews would consider himself a journalist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    Like an alluvial plain, right?
    An area made up of silt deposited by a river? ? ?
    Yep. For example, the Nile Delta is an alluvial plain. Other alluvial plains, such as some in the desert near to here (inland SoCal), do not have a river per se as their source, but are formed by sediment carried from multiple gullies, washes and rivulets in the wet season.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep. For example, the Nile Delta is an alluvial plain. Other alluvial plains, such as some in the desert near to here (inland SoCal), do not have a river per se as their source, but are formed by sediment carried from multiple gullies, washes and rivulets in the wet season.
    okies, thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know I might sound all knowledgeable about it, but it's really common knowledge around here. Maybe folks know their geography because there's so darn much of it around here!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Model; "what's Film?"

Alluvium, is what would be called a "party word", in the area where I currently reside. Party word = a word you would use at a party to impress your friends with your knowledge. 'Round here they would just call it dirt.

They do, however, know what film is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin