Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 903

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see I'm not alone...
    Between the time I first posted, and later in the day, I came to the conclusion that it may be better to have too many ideas than not enough (or none at all). And, to produce the best work I can, I'll go with whichever project excites me the most at that particular time. So, it's more hand coated emulsions/hand colored nudes (for now anyway...). Tomorrow it may all change...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm torn in two directions. I took up knitting after I gave up darkroom just so that I had something I was doing with my hands. I love it and don't plan to give it up now that I'm going back, so I have my knitting-related projects (patterns, yarn dyeing, and knitting) and the photography-related projects (portraits, Trees in the Middle of Nowhere series). Should be fun.

And before anyone asks, the "Middle of Nowhere" series is a half-serious, half-joke project my husband and I came up with while driving to one town or another one day. We realized that there's an awful lot of ______ in the middle of nowhere in Iowa. Trees, sheds, old farm equipment even. And thus is the birth of a photography project. I'll be working on it next year, probably.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie- Way back when I was in college, there was a girl who combined her knitting with her photographs. She made her own yarn (IIRC) and perforated her images so she could "knit" her photos. It was interesting work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Someone on the forum I go to uses knit pieces as canvases for her paintings. It's interesting work, too.

I use them for sweaters. It's cold in Iowa.

I've thought about doing some sculpture work with yarn and glue to use in still life photos, but that's yet *another* project.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I'm glad to see I'm not alone...
    Between the time I first posted, and later in the day, I came to the conclusion that it may be better to have too many ideas than not enough (or none at all). And, to produce the best work I can, I'll go with whichever project excites me the most at that particular time. So, it's more hand coated emulsions/hand colored nudes (for now anyway...). Tomorrow it may all change...
    It seems that APUG sees a large number of threads asking how to break out of the photography equivalent of writer's block (and I'm pretty sure I started one myself at one point). Having too many ideas is a better place to be imo. Even if not all the projects get done, how you think of something in one may lead to something more in another. And if you're not doing them with deadlines for someone paying you, then how long you take isn't a big issue.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Too many directions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'm torn in two directions. I took up knitting after I gave up darkroom just so that I had something I was doing with my hands. I love it and don't plan to give it up now that I'm going back, so I have my knitting-related projects (patterns, yarn dyeing, and knitting) and the photography-related projects (portraits, Trees in the Middle of Nowhere series). Should be fun.

And before anyone asks, the "Middle of Nowhere" series is a half-serious, half-joke project my husband and I came up with while driving to one town or another one day. We realized that there's an awful lot of ______ in the middle of nowhere in Iowa. Trees, sheds, old farm equipment even. And thus is the birth of a photography project. I'll be working on it next year, probably.
    Ahhh!! I love Iowa for that!! Plus the sunsets!!! Oh the Iowa sunsets!!

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Too many directions?

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    I'm wondering how others handle it when their work interest goes in multiple directions. I have so many different projects, sometimes I feel like I'm not giving each it's due.
    Right now I'm working on (or not working on):
    Hand painted nudes on hand coated paper.
    Combined/distressed negatives.
    Toned Holga/Diana stuff.
    Large hand-painted stuff (still getting the darkroom set up for 32x40 inch printing- I'm close to ready...)
    Large format portraits.
    Hand painted images from non-camera produced negatives.
    Bromoils.
    Old family photos, for my family.
    Probably a few more I've forgotten...

What are your "rules" for handling this situation? How do you allot your time? How do you allot your finances?
    Thanks for your insights.
    This isn't uncommon, I think it comes from the fact that one, our projects take so long in the mean time we have other ideas. Also if we do things one at a time, the results of a finished product are so far apart it's hard to keep current from a sales perspective.

I have 6 photography book projects, 3 camera mod projects, 8 different photo feeds I have to keep current, a website rebuild from scratch, and lots of digital photoshop learning stuff (which I haven't even installed yet). 5 film emulsion development experiments, etc etc.

It's endless and overwhelming, just pick something to do each day and do that thing that day and you'll feel accomplished at the end of the day. When you get close to done, then put all the energy into finishing it, then go back to your daily "pick a task".

That's how I handle it.

Hope that helps in some way.

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ahhh!! I love Iowa for that!! Plus the sunsets!!! Oh the Iowa sunsets!!

~Stone
    We have just enough flat land and just enough hilly land that there are a lot of photographic opportunities that most just don't see. You don't really think of Iowa as an awesome place to photograph, and neither did I, but then I opened my mind and realized that there's a LOT of stuff right here to work with.

Models, though, are somewhat harder to find than in NYC. :P

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Too many directions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    We have just enough flat land and just enough hilly land that there are a lot of photographic opportunities that most just don't see. You don't really think of Iowa as an awesome place to photograph, and neither did I, but then I opened my mind and realized that there's a LOT of stuff right here to work with.

Models, though, are somewhat harder to find than in NYC. :P
    I found this one when I visited for a wedding

I love random nude shoots haha

~Stone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must have been going to the wrong weddings!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin