Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,676   Online: 1131

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Too many directions?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I'm not as much for traditional landscapes as some people. I like desolate, almost empty places. I kind of seek them out. I think that being around two small children all the time makes me crave the peace and quiet that these places, and photographs of them, provide. I'd absolutely kill to photograph Death Valley. I also love abandoned factories, but since the one in town closed and so many people lost their jobs (including lots of my family and my husband) I haven't really had the desire to seek those out. I'm going to explore some really personal issues in the photographs I do next, so I think that doing the 'Middle of Nowhere' project right after will help me decompress.

I need to get the basement cleaned up so that I can set up the first shot. For some of these shots I'm going to need someone who can trip the shutter for me (it has to be me in the photographs), and for others I'm going to need models.
    Me too but I like mine with models

~Stone

The Important Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Stephanie:

It occurs to me that you could probably do some interesting abstracts with yarn/knitting and a macro lens.
    I'd need to find a film that could handle the long exposures that would come from high bellows factor plus small lens aperture, but I could do it. I have a 7.5" lens and plenty of bellows on the Burke & James to make it work. I'll think about it.

If only they made Acros in 5x7. I do NOT have the patience to cut it down.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Pinhole

If only they made Acros in 5x7. I do NOT have the patience to cut it down.
    what about using the Arista Ortho Litho and processing as continuous tone? A 100 sheet box of 5x7 is $38.99?

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stephanie- Just an idea. Take it in the spirit it's offered. What if you used 5x7 B&W, then dyed the prints using the same dyes you use for the yarn?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd actually have to get dyes for plant-based fibers since I work with protein-based fibers, but that would possibly work. Weak solutions, though.

I've got Kentmere VC Select for the initial "transition to contact printing" period, but then I planned to hit the Foma contact paper and maybe try out some Lodima. Since both are coated on cotton paper (aren't they?), it should work.

Oooh...
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    eddie

i am in the same boat ... a lot of projects
    i just do them when i remember.
    its all about keeping from being bored, and having a good time

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    Stephanie- Just an idea. Take it in the spirit it's offered. What if you used 5x7 B&W, then dyed the prints using the same dyes you use for the yarn?
    i have done this for years, i use Reed Dye from the craft store.
    dyes are so much better than nasty chemicals
    rubber cement is great for a mask for stuff you want to NOT be dyed

J

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Too many directions?

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    eddie

i am in the same boat ... a lot of projects
    i just do them when i remember.
    its all about keeping from being bored, and having a good time

i have done this for years, i use Reed Dye from the craft store.
    dyes are so much better than nasty chemicals
    rubber cement is great for a mask for stuff you want to NOT be dyed

J
    What about food coloring dyes? Lol

~Stone

The Noteworthy Ones - Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1 / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    When I first started dyeing wool, food dyes were what I used. They work on protein fibers, but not plant fibers. Hair = protein. They may stain, but won't actually dye. However, gelatin is made up of protein, among other things, so it may actually dye with the wool/silk dyes...

God, now I'm curious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    God, now I'm curious.
    Good. Experimentation is always good. Even if it doesn't turn out as originally expected, it may lead to other things.

I now have some thoughts involving liquid emulsions with dyes, powdered chalk, etc. Anyone (John?) try anything like this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first started dyeing wool, food dyes were what I used. They work on protein fibers, but not plant fibers. Hair = protein. They may stain, but won't actually dye. However, gelatin is made up of protein, among other things, so it may actually dye with the wool/silk dyes...

God, now I'm curious.
    If heated afterwards (microwave works, I think), Kool-Aid will dye wool. I have a raspberry beret from the 80's that has raspberry Kool-Aid (and some cherry and blueberry 'cause the color wasn't quite right at first). No idea what Kool-Aid and heat would do to film, though. jnanian? tried that, yet?
    Indigo works on just about everything (including the stuff you're not trying to dye).

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin