Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,135   Online: 1109

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ikea has been using rendered kitchens and such in their advertising. There's also quite a few advertising shops that don't use actual photography at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Zager and Evans
    In the year 2525, if man is still alive
    If woman can survive, they may find
    In the year 3535
    Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lie
    Everything you think, do and say
    Is in the pill you took today
    In the year 4545
    You ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
    You won't find a thing to chew
    Nobody's gonna look at you
    In the year 5555
    Your arms hangin' limp at your sides
    Your legs got nothin' to do
    Some machine's doin' that for you

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    It has been argued we are already living in a simulation: (...)
    I love it. I see a couple of loopholes (it conflates "ancestor simulations" with "ancestor simulations capable of having subjective experience within them", for instance), but it's a very likable argument.

Culturally, you could argue that the world became significantly virtualized with the widespread availability of television; in the States especially, we moved very quickly into a world where a lot of people's time was occupied by vicariously "experiencing" events in a simulated world. The internet actually seems like a step back towards reality in some ways, since at least the rest of you are more real than Archie Bunker (I think).

In the grand scheme of things, though, unless we're able to virtualize a whole lot of human biology, someone still has to clean the toilets. I think the only way it's possible for humanity to disappear into a complete virtual haze is if we manage to shove off *all* the maintenance of the world onto robots. That story has, of course, been written plenty of times.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm
    A virtual world. Never - Not as long as we ensure that human referees make outrageous decisions in football(soccer) matches. I have just had my faith restored having watched Match of the Day.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    I think we are well on the way. I'm amazed at how many people need to be plugged-in to the network 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with texting and voice connections. They remind me of the creatures that have been assimilated into the 'Borg Collective' (Star Trek). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borg_(Star_Trek)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    NO. We're wired for the real world through millions of years of evolution. Get out into the real world, explore, engage your senses and bring a film camera!
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No. Zapir, the grand overlord, prohibited it when he programmed the current reality.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I find the increasing legitimacy afforded virtual activities to be depressing and generally pathetic. Having grown up in an era (not too long ago) in which the heroes, depending on your ilk, were astronauts, mountain climbers or rock stars, the current focus on online gaming, social networking, and air guitar-type video games seems silly at best. I get that many of the hedonic/psychological benefits of physical activities involving high risk and reward can accrue to someone simulating an activity, but the overwhelming acceptance and promotion of virtual activities over physical activities is confounding. I was at an angel investor event recently in Silicon Valley focused on virtual gaming, and the sight of a roomful of middle aged guys gushing about spending tens of hours a week playing the latest first person shooter game was truly nauseating. It's starting to seem like a foregone conclusion that we will see virtual gaming in the olympics at some point...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I should probably note that I'm a huge fan of cyberpunk literature, I was an early adopter of digital, and I jumped on the Kindle bandwagon, though not for everything, about a year ago. I've been a gamer for well over 2/3 of my life, and I've been on the internet for more than 1/3 of my life.

It's already pretty hard to escape from. I use the internet to buy my film, look up chemical formulas, talk to other photographers, and show off my work. I use the internet to find knitting patterns, find people to help me when I have knitting issues, find my bare yarn to dye, and get my product out to other knitters. I use the internet to pay my bills, watch TV, and converse with family.

It's just...not horrible to me. I could live without it, but I was very isolated in my small town before the internet. I kind of shudder to think about how I would have turned out as a person if it wasn't for the internet and being able to very quickly get multiple views on various topics. I found it an amazing learning tool, about everything from sexuality to ancient Egyptian history. Having all this knowledge at your fingertips is more powerful than a lot of people realize.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some people are. I stumbled across this flickr set called "anti-social networking" the other day. It would be funny if it weren't so true...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gumanow/sets/72157623564202905/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin