Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,794   Online: 682

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Virtual World replacing reality

Will the virtual world one day replace reality and be impossible to escape from?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No.

It is a logical impossibility: the 'virtual world' has to be created by people who are very much in the real world.

It is an amusement - on the line from telling stories around the campfire, to reading novels, to movies and on to TV.

Time Magazine - that paragon of intellect - would publish stories "Will people spend their entire lives watching TV?". We don't. We never have.

As your tag-line says: “The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention” - F. Bacon
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    No.

It is a logical impossibility: the 'virtual world' has to be created by people who are very much in the real world.

It is an amusement - on the line from telling stories around the campfire, to reading novels, to movies and on to TV.

Time Magazine - that paragon of intellect - would publish stories "Will people spend their entire lives watching TV?". We don't. We never have.
    We're coming pretty close. It's one of the draws film photography has for me, to be away from the virtual. But, wait. Isn't the photographic image a 'virtual world'?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi clive

i live in a virtual world.
    i wear one of those weird VR helmuts all day and all night
    things look sort of weird-3D like i am in a cartoon
    i sometimes take the helmut off,
    and its even weirder ...

its much better living in someone else's imagination

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Will the virtual world one day replace reality and be impossible to escape from?
    If it truly did, would it then become "reality?" Dismal thought.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It has been argued we are already living in a simulation:

VII. CONCLUSION

A technologically mature “posthuman” civilization would have enormous computing power. Based on this empirical fact, the simulation argument shows that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) The fraction of human-level civilizations that reach a posthuman stage is very close to zero; (2) The fraction of posthuman civilizations that are interested in running ancestor-simulations is very close to zero; (3) The fraction of all people with our kind of experiences that are living in a simulation is very close to one.
    If (1) is true, then we will almost certainly go extinct before reaching posthumanity. If (2) is true, then there must be a strong convergence among the courses of advanced civilizations so that virtually none contains any relatively wealthy individuals who desire to run ancestor-simulations and are free to do so. If (3) is true, then we almost certainly live in a simulation. In the dark forest of our current ignorance, it seems sensible to apportion one’s credence roughly evenly between (1), (2), and (3).
    Unless we are now living in a simulation, our descendants will almost certainly never run an ancestor-simulation.
    http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html
    Last edited by Andy K; 11-03-2012 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    How long before someone mentions Plato's cave?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm assuming that there has been a bit of Neal Stephenson/Tad Williams reading going on?
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh I get to use my favorite quote:

Reality is just reality and anything you say about it is just something you say about it - Jim Moore

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Like "The Matrix" ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin