Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,959   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Mickey D's, Burger King and Taco Bell continue to thrive. Nevertheless, The French Laundry is full every night. A segment of the population appreciates great food (and can afford to pay for it). Ditto for photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    How about the history of color photography?
    It's not history... yet.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    No color theory or how color effects emotions? How about the history of color photography?
    Hopefully she'll have time to toss some of that in...

Vaughn

"For fast acting relief, try slowing down" Lily Tomlin
    "Acid absorbs 47 times its weight in excess reality." Some old hippy
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    OK, now who has that 8x10 Kodachrome of that actress?

Perfection and manipulation is something that's been going on for over a century with photography, and it started with dry plates! See? That was beginning of the downfall of photography! Truthful photographs only come from the wet plate collodion process. All else is lies, damnable lies, and statistics!

Te dum te dum te dum la la la la la la..

Nope, not wet plates. They used to add clouds in from separate cloud negatives. You might need to go back to the daguerreotype to find something that wasn't manipulated! I'm not putting money on that, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I started with film and developing/printing.

Then when the d100 came out, I got involved in Digital. Still doing digital, but somewheres in the past 5 years I got bored with digital's perfection and clinical look. It wasn't much of a challenge to do a good job with digital, and I wasn't seeing the artistic value in a perfect representation of a scene in proper calibrated color and biting sharpness. Clinically perfect reality is a farce and digital perpetuated that.

Film filled the void. I can still do perfect B&W prints with film, but it's not a perfect representation of what my eyes saw; it's something I've done with what I saw.

I'm no fan of bad-craft (scratches, dust, streaks), but I do like brush marks on alt process print edges, printing film borders (even if you overmat it), etc... Even soft focus sometimes.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Nope, not wet plates. They used to add clouds in from separate cloud negatives. You might need to go back to the daguerreotype to find something that wasn't manipulated! I'm not putting money on that, though.
    I had never really thought about this, but I guess the daguerreotype is the only form of photography with complete integrity.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I'm not just talking food at a high level

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    Mickey D's, Burger King and Taco Bell continue to thrive. Nevertheless, The French Laundry is full every night. A segment of the population appreciates great food (and can afford to pay for it). Ditto for photography.
    I'm not just talking about French Laundry. I'm talking about home cooked food also. There was a Documentary about men looking at retouched women in magazines called "Wet Dreams and False Images" by Jesse Epstein.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398386/

Here's a YouTube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7Ff_XH1nos
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I had never really thought about this, but I guess the daguerreotype is the only form of photography with complete integrity.
    Photograms?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Photograms?
    True.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Just not the hand-tinted ones! No one ever said being a purist was easy.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin