Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,002   Online: 808

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Infinite shots

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Honestly, think whatever you want, I don't care.

When someone mistakes infinity with "no limit" (different wording = different meaning, isn't it?), it says it all.

Now about experiment. I am sure you know what gravity is. Show me gravity! You can't. The only thing you can do is to experiment that a stone falls on the ground each time you drop it. that's all you can conclude from your experiment; when I drop a stone, it falls on the ground. And then you will build a theory to explain why and how the stone falls each time you drop it.

It is exactly (at a different scale) what happens with the universe. Observations and then theoriy to try to explain the observation. You don't buy it? Fine, but don't tell us than mathematicians and astrophysicists are intellectually dishonest and not men of science because they work on theories. Rant over!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Diapositivo View Post
    I don't think you are more rational than all those philosophers of the middle ages trying to demonstrate the existence of God by pure logic*. Logic, just like mathematics, is entirely inside the mind of the man. Whatever theory that is only demonstrated only "mathematically" or "logically" is just self-sustaining interesting reasoning but no science.
    Sounds like modern Atheism. Just angry logic.

...I'm agnostic by the way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    After reading you guys, I think I'm just going to go out tonight and drink the thread title.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    After reading you guys, I think I'm just going to go out tonight and drink the thread title.
    "If you gave a monkey infinite shots would he eventually write 'Fairytale in New York'."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... Logic, just like mathematics, is entirely inside the mind of the man. Whatever theory that is only demonstrated only "mathematically" or "logically" is just self-sustaining interesting reasoning but no science.
    This has been debated endlessly,and certainly there are many people who share your opinion. I do not entirely agree with you: I think the discrete and arithmetical part of mathematics reflects the discrete nature of reality. In as much as the universe consists of separate and differentiated parts, there are truths contained in the natural numbers that reflect truths about reality.

Anyway, reading this made me want to quote something humorous from a book I happen to be reading ( fiction ):

"Mathematics is the only valid portrait of reality. Everything else is delusional."
    Last edited by NedL; 11-10-2012 at 10:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by batwister View Post
    "If you gave a monkey infinite shots would he eventually write 'Fairytale in New York'."
    I don't know, but he would eventually soil himself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Infinite shots

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Perhaps this will become the Infinite Thread.
    We already had the Deleted thread. Did that port over when the server changed?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    I have Woodchuck. It makes forum reading SO much better.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Infinite shots

...If the big bang is an explosion of matter, that matter will explode into some space which has to have been there to receive that matter.
    [...]
    If the reasoning could be performed by some creatures in a world where there is no Achilles and no turtle, so to say, to prove it wrong, the brilliant mathematical construction might go on being right in the mathematical mind of the mathematical theorizers...
    It's turtles all the way down.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Brim View Post
    I have Woodchuck. It makes forum reading SO much better.
    So does Wild Turkey.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin