Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,680   Online: 731

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The gentleman said that super 8 has "pixelation" instead of grain. I was hurt ;-)
    I noticed that too, and chuckled a bit I confess. But I let it slide. Whatever he called it, it's the idea of embracing imperfections as something valuable that I find so endearing. Humans are not perfect, and neither are the technologies we create. We may make them technically better, using numbers to prove our point, but besides the technical side of things - are they really that much better? It takes a significant amount of soul searching to be honest about it, because media and mainstream tells us that Bluray and a 50" LCD HDTV is better. It's the norm, and it is being reinforced and pounded into our brains with real ferocity; it is difficult to ignore.
    But I find a lot of value in people that think outside the mainstream, because they help keep these types of technologies alive, not for any reason other than they like it, and that is very very cool.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I agree about VHS. Beta was better but the market was seduced by
    I do have a beta deck as well. The original 2 died of old drive belts and pinch rollers. This one I bought for $4 in a dust covered box from an estate auction like it had not seen use since the late 80's. It is one of the all metal construction style first generation decks.

It takes about 20 minutes for the head speed to synch with the tape, but once the lube gets warmed, all is golden.
    My wife has a whole trove of Miss America contest tapes indexed as to who was from which region of the country for about 15 years of the pageant.
    She is an actor, and uses these segments as coaching aides when she needs to fine tune a regional US dialect.
    I know she is going to audition for such a play when she asks me to get the beta deck out and hooked up again.

The Beta I speed images are great. Since a lot of the old pageants were live broadcasts, the image quality is really good.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use the programs on those tapes, you'll want to think about transferring them off magnetic media and onto something with more longevity.

Video tapes have a tendency to self destruct over time. As I understand, their life span is 10 to 20 years under average conditions.
    Even a home-burned DVD has an expected lifetime of 50 years or more if stored properly.

Secondarily, rewind the tapes every once in a while. Leave them "heads out" or "tails out" at alternating intervals.
    As the revolutions of tape lie together on the reel, the magnetic signature tends to "print through" onto the adjacent layers, thus degrading the data on the tape.
    Rewinding the tape and leaving it in the opposite orientation helps to randomize the positions of the layers of tape that lay together, thus preventing print-through.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    The gentleman said that super 8 has "pixelation" instead of grain. I was hurt ;-)
    Me too. Ain't even pixelation! I wish he'd speak the right language.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    First he said "grain", then he said "pixellation". To me that is fine.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning my experiencees on film-use I only can refer to this again:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/1...time-ever.html

Concerning records (vinyls): I spoke with a lot of 2nd hand dealers and aside from shops in hip-cities they only have a very, very limited number of clients in their twenties.

Concerning audio cassettes: two years ago I came across a cassette project at an art show.

Concerning VHS: I have not even heard of someone else using a VHS-camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a fair amount of LP's and really enjoy listening to them - it's almost a ritual: the disc itself, the sleeve, the artwork, finding the tracks, cleaning the disc, looking at coverart or reading the liner notes while listening...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Renato Tonelli View Post
    I have a fair amount of LP's and really enjoy listening to them - it's almost a ritual: the disc itself, the sleeve, the artwork, finding the tracks, cleaning the disc, looking at coverart or reading the liner notes while listening...
    ...Finding pot inside them...

Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In our area, London Drugs (which has stores all around Western Canada and is now more like an all purpose store) has a "technology" section in each weekly advertising flier. The most recent features a big spread on the new box set of Beatles vinyl LPs, as well as a fair number of their other titles that seem to sell well as LPs from their audio visual section.

Here is the link to the "vinyl" page on their website: http://www.londondrugs.com/Vinyl/ele...efault,sc.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a place in Kansas that markets about 22,000 new and used vinyl albums: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/5/Vinyl_Record

Not sure it has any bearing on photography, but I'm glad there are folks that appreciate these things still (so that I may continue buying them too).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin