Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,694   Online: 928
      
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    If you use the programs on those tapes, you'll want to think about transferring them off magnetic media and onto something with more longevity.

    Video tapes have a tendency to self destruct over time. As I understand, their life span is 10 to 20 years under average conditions.
    Even a home-burned DVD has an expected lifetime of 50 years or more if stored properly.

    Secondarily, rewind the tapes every once in a while. Leave them "heads out" or "tails out" at alternating intervals.
    As the revolutions of tape lie together on the reel, the magnetic signature tends to "print through" onto the adjacent layers, thus degrading the data on the tape.
    Rewinding the tape and leaving it in the opposite orientation helps to randomize the positions of the layers of tape that lay together, thus preventing print-through.
    Also, the tape should be stored flat on the surface so that each coil rests on the next coil. For a VHS or a Compact Cassette tape that would mean keeping them vertical on the short side. Failure to do so, as far as I know, can produce a damage to the tape (physical damage to the tape, regardless of the information on it).
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    172
    Lol vinyl, thats quite a new form of musical format, I use 78rpm Shellac records - ACOUSTICALLY recorded records, none of this electronically recorded records :P

  3. #23
    RPC
    RPC is offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    If you use the programs on those tapes, you'll want to think about transferring them off magnetic media and onto something with more longevity.

    Video tapes have a tendency to self destruct over time. As I understand, their life span is 10 to 20 years under average conditions.
    Even a home-burned DVD has an expected lifetime of 50 years or more if stored properly.

    Secondarily, rewind the tapes every once in a while. Leave them "heads out" or "tails out" at alternating intervals.
    As the revolutions of tape lie together on the reel, the magnetic signature tends to "print through" onto the adjacent layers, thus degrading the data on the tape.
    Rewinding the tape and leaving it in the opposite orientation helps to randomize the positions of the layers of tape that lay together, thus preventing print-through.
    I have heard that recordings keep better if the tape is stored slow wound, such as after playing, instead of fast wound, such as after rewinding, but don't know how true it is.

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,381
    Quote Originally Posted by m1tch View Post
    Lol vinyl, thats quite a new form of musical format, I use 78rpm Shellac records - ACOUSTICALLY recorded records, none of this electronically recorded records :P
    Hah. I'm still using ca 1450 print technology, aka "books".

  5. #25
    BetterSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,862
    I still don't think codex is going to catch on. Scrolls are far superior!
    f/22 and be there.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,381
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I still don't think codex is going to catch on. Scrolls are far superior!
    Scrolls are so last-millenium.

  7. #27
    lxdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Redlands, So. Calif.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,630
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Here's a place in Kansas that markets about 22,000 new and used vinyl albums: http://store.acousticsounds.com/c/5/Vinyl_Record

    Not sure it has any bearing on photography, but I'm glad there are folks that appreciate these things still (so that I may continue buying them too).
    If you're in the SF Bay Area, Arhoolie Records on San Pablo Ave. in El Cerrito is fantastic.

    They're also on that new thing called the internet at www.arhoolie.com

    But browsing their store is a delight.
    Last edited by lxdude; 11-28-2012 at 02:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

  8. #28
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    So new the Beatles have just released a remastered vinyl box set.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

  9. #29
    Diapositivo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,844
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I still don't think codex is going to catch on. Scrolls are far superior!
    Both scrolls and books are very perishable media. Clay tablets is the way to go.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

  10. #30
    Andy K's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Sunny Southend, England.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    9,422
    Images
    81
    Carved stone stele have much better longevity than these new-fangled clay tablet contraptions.


    -----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin