Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,925   Online: 864

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

We ❤ Retro Media: Vinyl, VHS, Tapes & Film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Once upon a time not so long ago they were all state of the art. of course technologies inevitably advance, so the marketters tell us. Otherwise what new stuff could they convince us that we needed to buy.

I still envoy vinyl, and in fact was looking at spending about $100 to buy a batch of LP's from a guy who does all of the estate sales etc and then agregates and grades and sells off anthologies of artisits or genres.

VHS, well, still have a fair collection, but it does not get looked at as often as it did. DVD is great in visuals; as to content, that is another story. Stlll use my svhs deck to time shift; no fancy hard drive basesd video addiction for us yet.

and yes, film of course.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    And Minidisc!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VHS video tape was never very good from the start, even when it was new technology.
    It only captures 240 lines of resolution where the standard definition NTSC picture has 480. Even S-VHS can only capture 420 lines.

Yes, it was great because it allowed people to record television programs to play back later or to make home movies to save for posterity but the picture quality was never very good.

Laser Disk and DVD had better resolution but at the expense of being able to record.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Worker 11811 View Post
    VHS video tape was never very good from the start, even when it was new technology.
    It only captures 240 lines of resolution where the standard definition NTSC picture has 480. Even S-VHS can only capture 420 lines.

Yes, it was great because it allowed people to record television programs to play back later or to make home movies to save for posterity but the picture quality was never very good.

Laser Disk and DVD had better resolution but at the expense of being able to record.
    The point of using the VHS tape in the video above was the LACK of quality, along with the ever present dropouts, noise, etc.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What an interesting video. Really loved viewing it. Thanks for sharing! For me there was a lot of nostalgia baked in, but there's also a fair bit of new thinking involved. As mainstream industrial world citizens seem to move towards a neatly organized digital library of everything - music, books, movies, maps, camera/photos, etc - a group of society is bound to go against the stream and embrace more tangible formats, where defects of the medium are actually encouraged and loved. I feel that way sometimes when I listen to music, reaching for my vinyl, and it sure is the reason why I love my darkroom so much and dream computer face time to scan and fix things. The content of the well produced video clip really resonates with a lot of my own beliefs.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Stopped watching after the woman said 'objectness'... with an inflection. "Like, I just wanna touch things? And own things?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree about VHS. Beta was better but the market was seduced by a lesser quality product that promised more run time and thus cheaper media. Sound familiar? Then people made it even worse by recording on the...whatever they called the mode VLP or SLP or some such, where it tripled the runtime but recorded a picture that, at best, looked almost, but not quite, totally unlike what it was supposed to be. When I recorded onto VHS I did so only on the fastest speed with the shortest runtime. It made a considerable difference, but still wasn't that good.

I still have my VCR hooked up and working. My wife and I watched a movie on it two nights ago. But that's because we both have a fair store of tapes, not because it's really worth a crap.

I do love my vinyl and film, however.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The gentleman said that super 8 has "pixelation" instead of grain. I was hurt ;-)
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin